Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Pippa's Song


The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearl'd;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in His heaven--
All's right with the world!
--"Pippa's Song" by Robert Browning
Mitch and I met in college at Alice Lloyd College in Pippa Passes, Kentucky. The town was named for this poem, and from a friendship between Alice Lloyd and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. We used to tour with the college choir, and during the events we would show a slide show and read this poem. One year Mitch and I had the privilege to read the poem together, he would read a line and I would read one. =) I always think of it when a morning so great as this one dawns with dew lingering on the blades of grass and a gentle mist hovering just above the field across the road. How I miss the Appalachian mountains!!
Yay! The rain has ended!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about the sunshine too! Now I need to go post to my own blog :) (www.kjllovemylife.blogspot.com) Did you see what I had to say about it all yesterday?

    BTW, did your day go okay yesterday? I was praying :)

    ~kjl

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day is nice. I walked a few blocks away and got lunch then ate on the grass. It was a nice break away for a few minutes.

    Love, mn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara Barnett5/02/2006 7:39 PM

    Pippa's song.......Oh what memories!!!! I remember those days! I've been back 3 times for Appalachia Day. I may go this coming October since it is the year for choir reunion. Becky and I went to see the choir in March while they were in Lexington. It was nice to see Mr. Kennedy and Dot and hear those songs again. Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, I'm so glad you posted! Thankyou!!! I would love to come back for Appalachia day, but of course it never coincides with summer since there are hardly any students there. It's just so hard for us to travel that far during the school year... Some day! I keep thinking that Mr. Kennedy will email me and tell me they are coming to MN! =) I miss the choir so much!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete