Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Fair Entry Day

I should count up how many years I have been doing this. I remember that my Father-in-law, Paul, took me to the Benton County Fair for the first time ever back in 2000. Up until that point, I thought fairs were all about tractor pulls and midway rides. In fact, I didn't even know that they had a name for the midway. I thought that was just what the fair was to me.

Enter into thinking "open class exhibits." I was astounded as I walked through the open class barns. It was neat to see everyone's works on display. I knew that the next year I wanted to enter something. Fast forward to at least 2001, maybe 2002? I entered my first ever crocheted blanket in the fair. It was a granny square, and I did it in a style to make it look like a blue gingham print. It was Micah's blanket and I had just finished it, and I had to bribe him (he was only like 5 years old) to give it up for the week. I told him that if I won a ribbon, he could have the premium. Turkey. Wouldn't you know it, I won the blue ribbon and I had to hand over my $5 winnings to a 5-year-old. Needless to say, I was hooked. I have entered something in the fair every year since then, including a crocheted baby blanket every year. Last year our entries grew to include me, Mitch, Karen, Micah, Eden, and Caleb. We took our $17 earnings and enjoyed a night out at Cold Stone Creamery (in case you don't know, this is much better than Dairy Queen).

This year I didn't think I was going to make it. Or my blanket, rather. I had put off starting it, and I selected a pattern that I thought would be fast and easy and then it wasn't. :( So I was on row 56 with 18 to go, not including the border, and it was looking like my guage was way off, indicating I should have switched needles and started over back at, like, row 1. My blanket would either require more than 74 rows to be longer than it is wide, or I would have to turn it sideways. There was no way I could go any farther and get it done in time for today. So I turned it sideways, made a quick border, attached ribbon, and voila! it is done. Sort of. It is definitely not a ribbon winner, but I guess having a blanket in that is not a winner is better than no blanket at all--in my heart, anyways. Besides, after all the blankets that I've entered, and some of them were fantastic, I have only ever gotten one other ribbon. It was on Josh's baby blanket, another granny square...imagine that. And it was a second place ribbon.

Our entries grew this year to include baked items as well. Micah and I were in the kitchen yesterday. He learned how to make no-bake cookies. I made a carrot cake from scratch, which turned out perfect up until the point where I had to frost it...I sure hope the judge more on tastes than on looks, lol.

Wish us luck at the fair! Judging is tomorrow morning. We will try to go down there on Thursday to see how we did. :) The real reward is seeing our stuff on display among all the other great stuff there. I tell myself every year that I'm going to take pictures of the other blanket winners, but I never do. I guess it's because I'm not that competitive...

Blogger doesn't seem to like the pictures of our stuff that I want to upload. So maybe I will add those in later!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't entered anything in a fair since I was a little kid. It just never occured to me! lol

    So, maybe next year you'll have to remind me to work on something and I'll get an entry together :) Maybe that great picture! :P

    ~kjl

    ReplyDelete