Saturday, October 14, 2006

Problem Solved!

We have been having some tight financial times here in the Theis household, just as I imagined I would a few weeks ago when I made the tough decision to quit daycare. So now we are moving into the stage where we put our faith into action and trust God just like we said we would. It is sooooo hard, let me tell you. I want an easy answer. Mitch is working a second job, teaching behind the wheel training for a local driving school. This is how it works--he tells the school when he is available to work, and when students call in to schedule a class they put him down to work. Well last Saturday he had a class cancel (so no payment), then on Tuesday night both of his classes canceled. So we lost $60 on that. Then today (Saturday), he was available to teach 3 more lessons, but didn't get a single one scheduled. So another loss of $60...or $60 not made depending on how you want to look at it. I was thinking and praying about this. Honestly, I understand that God is in control. We can't put our trust in the job, we have to put our trust in Him.

In the meantime, my doorbell rang. It was only 9:30 on a Saturday, and I thought it was odd. I noticed a nicely dressed man waiting outside. I thought it was a politician (it's that time of year). :) It was my neighbor. He asked to speak to my husband, and explained that he needed some help. I hurried up and got Mitch. They ended up talking for 2 hours! This is someone we had never met before. I stood in awe that he knew enough about us in our comings and goings to guess that we go to church and that he could ask Mitch for help. He is having some marital problems. Mitch explained his problems to me later, and I just shook my head in disbelief. The sad thing is, this guy stressed that money is not an issue for them--they have more than enough. But the other problems were gut-wrenching. Suddenly my petty money "problem" didn't seem so bad. I wouldn't trade our marriage for all the money in the world. Mitch didn't have much to say to our neighbor, just sat and listened. He did try to positively encourage him and offered some resources (Love and Respect, plus the name of a favorite counselor).

Later in the day, I was quietly contemplating our "problems" once again, and silently praying that God would send an answer. Suddenly, the thought occurred to me that if God truely is in control, then He has already sent an answer. The problem has been solved. We may not know the answer yet, and it may not be the right time to be revealed, but it IS there--it will be there when the time is right. I will take care of what I can for today, and try to look at the future with a less self-centered perspective!

Philippians 3:12-14 "12 I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven." [New Living Translation]

Lord knows, I am just a beggar...but I am also His child (Galatians 4). That doesn't mean that I expect Him to "bail me out" but I know that He loves me and has already extended His grace towards us.

Problem Solved!!

1 comment:

  1. This faith thing is tricky, isn't it? I've discovered lately that there a huge problem with my level of faith. The "quiverfull" decision is a HUGE step of faith -- and when looking at it logically is bigger than figuring out where we're getting the $ for groceries and gas this week. But, it's easier. Why is that? (Human nature I guess.)

    Hang in there -- I know you know it, but you are not alone in your circumstances :) I'll pray for you, and you pray for me... our faith is SURE to grow! :)

    ~kjl

    ReplyDelete