Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Wild Ride

Well, I had a scary weekend, to say the least!! How many details do you want to read? I can make it really long! =)

I was having some lower back pain last week, which I know is just part of being pregnant. On Friday, my lower abdominal muscles felt sore, and so I figured I was overcompensating for my back. I went to bed early, hoping that would ease the pain. I woke up at 10:30 pm in horrible pain. I cried because I didn't want to "bother" anyone, but I knew I would have to call someone to watch the kids, plus try to get ahold of Mitch, who was at a lock-in. It took about half an hour for Holly and Mitch to get here. Mitch took me to the ER right away, and thankfully I was able to bypass any waiting and go straight to Labor & Delivery. I was sobbing the whole way, scared of what could be happening. They hooked me up to monitors, and sure enough I was contracting every 2 minutes--some pretty intense contractions. I buried my head and sobbed some more. Who knows what Mitch was feeling. They worked fast to do some initial tests plus get the contractions stopped. They used a drug called terbutaline--that was a fun ride! My heartrate shot up and I began shaking all over. The nurses thought at that point I should be feeling better since the contractions had stopped, however the pain was still there and quite strong. Hmmm... They sent me for an ultrasound of the babe and he/she looked great, though I cried through most of the ultrasound since the pressure on my abdomen hurt so bad. In fact, anything that stretched those abdominal muscles hurt. So I would lay as still as I possibly could, and had to take very shallow breaths, and even then I could not stop the baby from moving and that movement hurt a lot too. They were pumping me full of iv fluids, so I had to get up to pee a LOT and that was excruciating. They wanted to do some nubain for the pain, but they refused to lower the dosage. I had it with Micah and hated it, so I refused it. I asked them to do tylenol with codeine instead. They really wanted me to relax and get some sleep. The nurse was sure it would not be effective, but I was promising to be a good patient, so she relented. I felt better, but was still in quite a bit of pain. I didn't sleep at all until morning. In the morning they did an ultrasound of my kidneys and saw that there is extra fluid around my right kidney, which is common in third trimester pregnancy. This normally does not cause any discomfort. They also saw a small stone, and the guessing game began that I had passed a small stone through the tube that goes from your kidney to your bladder, and since this is compressed the pain was intensified. It took two shots of the terbutaline to completely take care of all my contractions, but thankfully I did not dilate. It was frustrating trying to communicate with the nurses, who mistakenly thought that relieving the contractions would relieve my pain. :( But the whole kidney stone thing seemed to explain a lot. By Saturday afternoon I was feeling better, but still in a lot of pain when I had to move. The doctor discharged me on bedrest orders for the weekend and said I could resume moderate activity on Monday.

On a postive note, the baby measured 2 weeks ahead--so nice and strong--and the placenta was over 4 cm away from my cervix!! Amazing!! I totally did NOT expect that. I don't have to have it checked anymore. Yippeee.

Also, I had a dizzy spell on Monday night that lasted for hours. I have never experienced anything like it. I read my pregnancy books and suspected low iron. The doc suspected vertigo, to which I disagreed. =P Anyways, I did everything I could to up my iron intake. When they drew my labs at the hospital, my hemoglobin came back a low 9.9. I felt at least a little vindicated. :) So I came home on extra iron, which I have been on every single pregnancy and was annoyed that I hadn't been put on it yet for this one. I'm hoping that I'm feeling a LOT better very soon!!

Oh yeah, and the doctor says the baby must be a boy, "because they never listen." Do you think??? Not exactly the prediction I like to hear, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment