Thursday, June 07, 2007

Day 6 of Life...More Jaundice Drama

So, just in case you didn't notice, I edited Wednesday's post and put in my very looooong birth story.

We went back to the hospital this am for another bili draw. It didn't take the doc long to call us and let us know it was a 19. My mom said "Yay. It's coming down now and won't go back up." I wish the doctors shared her enthusiasm. They sent me back up to the hospital for more blood work. She requested a hemoglobin, peripheral smear, and coombs test. Both the peripheral smear and the coombs test will check for blood disorders. The peripheral smear will uncover if he has inherited spherocytosis from me. At any rate, either will give reason for why his bili is staying so high in spite of treatment.

I have been doing everything I can think of. He is on a bili blanket. I hate to say it, but it is probably the least effective form of treatment, because the light is so small and covers such a small surface area of his skin. However, it's my favorite form because I can still hold him. I have him naked (with a diaper) on this light and in the window as much as possible. I'm nursing him every time he makes a peep or even seems interested. He has lots of wet and poopy diapers. I am praying for a miracle. I have been running by myself to all these appointments and it is wearing me out. It is no short walk from the parking lot to the hospital lab. Going twice a day is no fun.

To top it off the kids at home just need me and I'm pretty much worthless. I'm not healing fast enough to be any help to Mitch either. Not to mention we are trying to get our house on the market to sell...and trying to get a new job...and relocate. Aggghhhhh!!! I am an emotional wreck. We could certainly use some prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of Malachi! I'm sorry to hear he is having some difficulties, but if he is half as resilient as his Mom, this will be no problem.

    Thank you for sharing your joys and your struggles with us. Keep eating that elephant one bite at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's bigger than an elephant? A Sperm Whale maybe? lol

    You certainly have my prayers. And as I've been sitting here reading you updated, so off to read more! :)

    ~kjl

    ReplyDelete