Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Are you smarter than a 4th grader?

Shhhhhh.....

I'm hiding from them while they eat lunch...don't tell them where I am! I hear Zeke crying for me, but I'm sure it's a minor altercation. Unlike the major altercation that happened earlier when he was climbing on the chest of drawers and it fell on both him and Josh. My heart didn't slow down for about 30 min after that one!

So anyways, homeschooling is hard. 4th graders do have to know quite a bit of stuff. Eden is amazed at the thought that I have to "learn" everything they are learning. She asked this morning, "Do you even have to learn Caleb's stuff?" Yeah, I do. He has all these fun phonics charts with "special sounds" that help them all learn to read and write. Like "ck" in duck or "st" in stop. Micah is memorizing the American's Creed, along with tons of history facts that I managed to escape high school without knowing, and all these incredible details about insects, and the list just goes on. I can totally understand the promotion behind the show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" even though I've never actually seen it. Wow, these guys are smart!

Did you ever hear that I used to think Germany was an island? I always wondered just how the Berlin wall worked out, and I guess that's how I rationalized it. Sadly, "The Sound of Music" never made sense beyond the songs as a child. So Micah and I are learning a little geography together too. =)

There. I told one of my deepest darkest secrets!

3 comments:

  1. It's actually "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?" LOL But that's okay... I'm probably not smarter than a 4th grader either... I'll let you know when he gets home from his first day of school in a couple hours! :P

    ~k

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLOL...See, I really DO need some help!! =P

    That's what I get for trusting what I read on the message boards. I didn't even stop to verify facts.

    (There, how did I do at escaping blame? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, this is Trishia from tok. I haven't read your blog for a while (since back when you posted the link for us to see your basement photos!) and have been lurking, catching up lately. I love the way you write, it is like you are talking. (that sounds odd, but you know- lots of people write stiff, you write fluidly, as if that makes any more sense)

    ANYWAY- I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you while you are struggling with your husband being away, but remember that this, too, shall pass.

    also, kudos to you for taking on homeschooling! I have been toying with the idea for years and am doing it now with my 5yr old who we held out of school (she just turned 5 two days ago, would've been too young) and am hoping that my work with her will convince my hubby to let me hs the other kids, too. They deserve it and are actually asking for it!

    you are in a period of a lot of change, but remember that change moves you forward while no change moves you backwards.

    ReplyDelete