Saturday, September 22, 2007

More Activity

I'm going for a record. My house, show ready, for 4 days in a row! We had a showing yesterday (Friday) am of course, then an open house today and another one tomorrow. Today there was a message on my phone to do a showing on Monday am. For clarification--a showing is where someone who really wants to see our house and is interested in purchasing it schedules a private visit with their realtor/agent. An open house is where a realtor/agent from our realty comes by and has the house open for a couple hours and anyone who wants to can stop by. It may be someone interested in buying the house, a nosy neighbor, people who have nothing better to do, you get the idea. The showings are exciting for me. I agree to the open houses because it helps me keep the house clean, and in general I know about the open houses before I have any idea there will be a showing.

We had a huge blessing today. I left the house with the 3 younger kids, while Paul and Marilyn took the older 3 to the apple orchard. It was warm, so I rolled down the windows. It didn't take me long to realize the button broke to the passenger side window. It was stuck going "down" and so would not come back up. Not good. I called Mitch and asked him what to do. He said to take it somewhere and get it fixed. Duh. So I drove over to Steph and Sal's shop (Fifth Gear) to see if Sal's dad would be in. Lucky Duck--both Sal and Jose were there! Sal took it apart for me and we got a new part and got it all back together. I am so grateful. God definitely worked out the timing of that whole deal.

Every day is difficult to keep going. But what other choice do we have? I never imagined it would be 6 weeks and counting...at least every day brings us one step closer. I keep praying for God to sell the house. I always follow that with a prayer that asks Him to give us what we need, and not what we want. It is still so hard. Mitch had a better but hard day on Friday. He was really tough on the kids. He started off the day by saying "We're going to get back to the basics." No one was allowed to speak about anything at all without raising their hands. Anyone who gets their conduct card full will be sent to the back of the classroom to stand and will not be allowed to work (receiving a zero for the day). I follow that logic--if your misconduct is so disruptive, then you will not be allowed to participate with the class. If you want to participate, then you will follow the rules. If you do not follow the rules, I will not allow you to step on the rights of others who do wish to participate in class. Sounds a lot like the Declaration of Independence, huh? At the end of the day one of his soft-spoken students indicated how much she enjoyed class that day under the new rules. :) Mitch doesn't like being such a big meany. At least he did it without yelling. He told the kids, "If you continue to perform poorly, you will fail the class, and you will return to fourth grade next year." He challenged them that he means what he says and he will endure by saying, "I have bills to pay and I'm not going anywhere." So let's get to work! He has a couple of writing projects that he is going to do with them coming up. He says he wants to get to know the students more and have a launch point for conversations. One of the projects is sort of like the "what do you want to be when you grow up" paper, only with a little more detail. He wants to take that and then use it to impress upon students the need to do well in school to do well in life. He is trying to find a way to light some fires and restart their desires to learn.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what Mitch has to say this Friday after the kids have had a week under the "new rules".

    I continue to pray for you all. Please know that I am with you in this struggle. Remember, I was once seperated from my hubby too... but I didn't have the assurance that someday I would be with him again.

    So, hang in there! And remember there are lots of us praying and here for you when you need us. :)

    ~k

    ReplyDelete