Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Deep Thinking

Wow, I have been completely unable to gather my thoughts. I have been really doing some deep thinking, and it's fun, but it sure doesn't make good blog material. Mostly I'm still chewing at the fat of that Craig Barnes book. That is mingled with a little of the kids' worldview training, then some of that big atheist-christian debate, and some really good conversations I've been having with Mitch. Mostly it all boils down to how God is trying to reach and teach me.

I'm going to try to find a sitter for the next two Monday nights, preferrably someone who can come to my house and put kids to bed. I've been invited to be a part of a discussion of a book on apologetics called "Geocentricity, Relativity, and the Big Bang." It was written by a retired Chemistry professor from our church, Russ Arndst. I am very excited about the subject, and it would be fun to clear my befuddled mind and think about something else for a while!

Malachi went to the doctor today. He weighed a healthy 18 lbs 7 oz!! I don't remember his length off the top of my head, but he was 97% for length and for height. It was great to see my doctor again. She told me if I can find time I need to see a speech therapist for my voice and she wrote out a referral. While I was there, I read a poem I had seen on the wall before. It really stuck. I had to come home and look it up on the internet. (of course) It has been inaccurately attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson, as stated on this site. It is actually not a poem, but it is a passage written in prose. Here is the poem/prose/passage with the real author (and I've probably killed it by hitting the 'enter' button so much):

What is Success?
by Bessie A. Stanley
To laugh often and love much;
to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children;
to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to give of one’s self;
to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation;
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment