Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Good Country Boy (or girl) Sense

(Don't let this post distract you from reading the more important post just below. This one is more of my typical sound off babbling.)

So I loved the class I attended last night. Russ has written a book and we started taking it apart bit by bit. I am finally really getting a grasp on why I didn't get a grasp on Einstein's theory of special relativity when I was in school (where I had arguably more time and focus to spend trying to understand such things). As Russ says, it defies "good country boy sense." I am eating it up now! The main topic of the class is establishing a case for geocentricity, but also for debunking the big bang and other evolutionary topics. "Geocentricity" in plain sense is the earth at the center of the universe, motionless (ie: not even rotating on its axis), and the universe revolving around the earth. "Heliocentricity" is what Copernicus tried to prove--which is the sun is the center of the universe (or at least the center of our solar system). There are some other popular viewpoints, of which one is that any object in the universe can be the center therefore there is no center of the universe. In fact, the data that we have collected supports all of these viewpoints and NONE CAN BE PROVEN. Ha--thought you learned in school that Copernicus finally "enlightened" all of us with the "correct" model of the universe, huh? Nope. It cannot be proven any more than the earth is the center of the universe. The Michelson-Morely experiment attempted to establish a proof about light, yet the results caused all sorts of problems--the data suggested that the earth was not in motion (which M&M had assumed it was). This caused panic in the physics world, and enter the savior, Albert Einstein. Einstein's theory of special relativity goes ahead and assumes that everything is in motion (which cannot be proven, I mentioned) and from there he makes 9 postulates. It's all a bunch of nonesense. I love it! With Russ explaining things to us, it all made so much more sense than it ever had (too bad it wasn't for a real grade). We also got quite a bit of trivia about Einstein's personal life, and this "savior" left much much much to be desired.

A sigh of satisfaction...ahhhhhhhh. I don't feel stupid now for sitting there looking at my physics professor in college thinking that special relativity was bogus. It is! I was such a good girl and tried to give the right answers. After all, Einstein was really smart, right? And if we want to be smart, we should at least pretend to understand him right? Because we certainly don't want to argue or disagree with him. Ha! What a bunch of manure! =) (I feel a little vindicated...thanks for listening).

No comments:

Post a Comment