Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

We have had a very full two weeks, including a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. I'm looking forward to getting back to "normal" on Monday. Last weekend we added a furry person to our family. Her name is Lady and we adopted her from the Humane Society on a recommendation from Mitch's sister Holly. She is a coon hound who was surrendered because her owners wanted to hunt with her and she was too scared (a coon hound afraid of 'coons!). It turns out that we couldn't have asked for a better dog. Micah came to Mitch a couple days after we got her and said, "Remember dad when I was 6, you promised me that when I was 10 we could get a dog, and we did!" Wow, the blessing of keeping your word (and the reminder of why Jesus said in Matthew 5 not to make vows)! We are working on some potty training issues, but other than that she is about as perfect as they come. My only regret is that it is an inconvenience to our friends who have allergies.


We had a great Thanksgiving. The Bondy's came to visit on Tuesday--just for the afternoon/evening. It was great as always to see them. On Thursday we enjoyed dinner at Paul and Marilyn's (Mitch's dad and stepmom). It was just us and Grandma Theis. Grandma had a great time with the kids. Her memory is failing fast, but she still brightened at the sight of them. We got to hear her "mom voice" a couple times when she told Micah and Caleb to settle down. =) And of course there was her "grandma voice" as she cooed at the baby. Marilyn made a delicious meal. On Friday I managed to drag myself out to Joann Fabrics and bring home some fun new fabrics at fantastic deals. Friday evening we had our small group Bible study and another "feast" including turkey and ham. It was a fun evening. Mitch prepared the lesson and we all dug into our Bibles to find verses defining who we are in Christ.
Mitch is learning the new FedEx route and this will be his last week riding along with someone. Next week he will be flying solo! He is filling his head with visions of becoming a contractor (owning his own route)...so perhaps that is where life will take us next. December promises to be a very busy month, so Sal has reorganized the route to make it a little simpler (sigh of relief).

I hope to get back on track with diapers this week. My production slowed down drastically over the past two weeks. Holly is on board now and equipped to take over the cutting out of diapers for me. I let her start out with her sister Mindy's diapers--good training, huh? =) "It's just family." LOL She did an excellent job, and I only hope that she continues to improve her efficiency so that it doesn't take too much of her time. I am anxious to see if the business grows over the next few weeks (especially if I can get my tush into the sewing room and put together everything she cuts out).

I will turn 29 (again) this week. I am enjoying celebrating my "golden birthday" for the rest of my life. =) I tried to get Mitch to call a sitter so we can go out, but he hasn't yet. I guess we need to procrastinate a bit more...

We about lost Josh last night. He went to bed with Micah, and Micah looked over and noticed Josh was acting funny. He was not making any noises, just had his hand on his throat. Micah called for Mitch (I was out with the dog), and Mitch had to do the Heimlich to dislodge a small rock that had gotten stuck! He had clearly been choking, but could not breathe or cough whatsoever. By the time I got back inside, everything seemed to be back to normal except Mitch was cuddling with Josh and informed me that I had "missed the action." It was very scary for all involved. I stand in awe of our God who protected Josh and has given him to us for another day! I see Josh putting stuff in his mouth all the time, and I never say anything to him. I figure I'm fighting a losing battle. You can bet I won't be so casual from now on!

We have been rearranging our home again (with Mitch home, it was inevitable). We decided to convert a bedroom into a "family closet" to make laundry day easier. So all the kids' clothes are now in one place. It actually looks and works pretty good. I love going into their bedrooms and not finding 3 days' worth of clothes on the floor! I do not prefer to hang clothes, but I'm getting over it. Mitch and I are keeping our own clothes in our room still. As we have time, we will continue to organize the kids closets now (which are largely empty), adding shelves to store toys.

We retrieved all our boxes from storage (at a friend's house) a couple weeks ago. The first thing I did was try to find my winter/warm clothing. I was disappointed to find only two boxes--one with nightgowns and the other with maternity clothes. Nope, neither was going to do it! I finally gave up and went to Saver's and bought some used jeans (3 pair for $11!!). They are really cute too. This week I made my way about unpacking the rest of all the boxes. Many were books. We have two huge bookcases (thank you, Carrie!), and it is so nice to put the books out on them now. I felt incredible after emptying so many boxes. I stood in my office and looked around--it's beginning to look a lot more like a real office. As I did, I spied a stack of boxes that have been there since Mitch left for Texas. Feeling motivated to get it ALL organized, I tackled the stack. Lo and behold, on the bottom there were the two missing boxes of winter clothes. Dude! I could have EASILY reached them THE WHOLE TIME!!! Grrrrr... Oh well, at least my "new" jeans are cute AND cheap. =)

I have been gleaning nuggets of info from "The Week" magazine and have been dying to blog about them. One in particular I just can't resist anymore and that is what I will have to leave off with. A new study showed that people are inclined to believe rumors or gossip, even when their own eyes reveal the "truth" to them--they will continue to believe the lies. Strangely enough, the scientists who conducted the study are a bunch of evolutionists.

Hahahahahahahaha.......................... So now we know why each time they come up with some new "evidence" that did NOT support their theories, they modify the theory (instead of throwing it out like a good mathematician would) to fit the evidence. Ptttttbbbbbbbbb =P

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steph. This is Stacey (I just bought 2 diapers from you) from Canada. Thought I would check out your blog. You can check mine out too, if you want. It's keithandstacey.blogspot.com

    I'm glad your son is okay. It's so scary when things like that happen, and your right, thank-you God for keeping him safe!

    ReplyDelete