Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Not Slowing Down!

Well, life does not seem to be slowing down any at all here. Our heads are spinning and we're trying hard to grasp hold of our priorities. But things are going well!

I've been busy taking diaper orders when I can. I'd say I'm making somewhere around 5 diapers per week. I wish it were more like 10, but I do what I can! Malachi really needs some new diapers in size LARGE. He had a checkup last week and he weighed in at 20 lbs 10 oz! That's just barely ahead of Zeke who weighed 20 lbs 4 oz when he was 6 months old. Malachi was also really long at 28". I have to try to go find some size 12 mo sleepers for him. He's just not old enough to be in the "shirt and pants" type outfits designed for babies who are upright and moving around more often. So we don't have much here that fits him (where did Zeke's stuff go??? Ah, he was the wrong season).

Mitch likes working for Sal, and I love to hear him praying at the supper table. He asks God to bless Sal and to help him to do a good job and in turn make Sal profitable. What an excellent example for our children!!! :) (and I'm not just saying that since I know that once in a while Steph G reads my blog, lol) The hours are long, but he has had a few days that were on the short side. The busyness of our lives is starting to wear on him a little bit, so I'm desperately searching for ideas on how to calm things down at home some. He has several projects he wants to do, so it's a little overwhelming. It's easy for the "grass is greener" feelings to crop up. He says I am so much busier now with homeschooling added to our lives. Yes, I am busy, but I don't see that it limits my availability to him any--I have always been busy with one thing or another. Getting around to the "Love and Respect" issues, I pointed out that he is much more available to me (even though he is working much longer hours) than he ever was before. I admire how much he has changed--how much he is helping with the kids and around the house.

The kids are doing great in school. At the beginning of the year, reading was Caleb's least favorite subject--right next to handwriting. Now it is at the top of the list next to math (that's my boy!). Wow, does he have some great critical thinking skills in arithmetic! I'm not saying he's a math genius or anything, but it does come easy to him, and that's a good thing. His reading has grown in leaps and bounds, and it is not uncommon for me to find him on the couch actually reading a book, not just looking at the pictures. Within a couple months he will be reading chapter books (less pictures), and I am so excited for him.

Eden has made great strides in her ability to stay focused and be more responsible for independent work. While this is still an area where she really needs to work on, she has already come a long way. She has always been a daydreamer, full of imagination and creativity. I love to see her apply it to writing and drawing. She has A's in all of her subjects, but arithmetic is the hardest for her.

 Micah suffers most from boredom and from being the firstborn. Poor kid! He is very smart and very analytical. I am positive that kid was made to work in some branch of the law (lawyer, law enforcement, judge, etc). He obviously loves it. He is taken well to independent learning. So well, in fact, that it messes with my whole "need to control everything" personality. He has A's and B's in his work, and I'm struggling with my own perfectionist attitudes. (Note to self: take a deep breath. It IS ok to get a B.) As I'm working through my own life learning who I am in Christ, I am also stretching to let Christ, not me, also define Micah. Now do you see what I mean in saying "Poor kid"? It must be because he is firstborn that I put so much pressure on him!

Zeke and Josh are going through their days just happy to be here. Josh seems to be over his naughty streak. =S Or else his parents have just wisened up and become more cautious!

Christmas is a little hard for me this year. I have been wrestling with some of my own disappointments, and I'm trying to let go of that. We are working on getting the tree set up, and I'm sure that doing a little decorating will help snap me back to reality. We are surrounded with love from friends and family, and that helps so much too. It is wonderful to be here!

That's all for now...it's time to start the school day!

No comments:

Post a Comment