Friday, July 18, 2008

Horol, Ukraine

I debated if I should post this now or when Mitch gets back (safety concerns, you know). I decided that we could use the prayers now, so I should post now instead of waiting. :)

Did you know that one of the top Ukrainian exports is women? People in Ukraine desperately need the gospel!

Mitch decided a few months ago to join a mission team in our church to visit our sister church in Horol, Ukraine. So on next Wednesday he will be traveling to Horol. He will be gone for 2 weeks (and we'll miss him very much). Here is the support letter he sent out (didn't send it to as many people as we wanted to--so don't feel bad if you didn't see one in the mail) with more details:

Horol, Ukraine
June 30, 2008
Dear Friends and Family,
This summer I am working as a counselor at a summer camp for young children and also in a group home assisting four disabled young men. Both of these jobs keep me on my toes! Our family has a lot of activities planned for this summer, many of which involve family time and relaxing together.
A highlight on my packed summer calendar covers the dates between July 23rd and August 5th. I and four teammates will be traveling to Horol, Ukraine for a few weeks. We will be assisting in a weeklong Vacation Bible School, bringing supplies and encouragement to the local church, and meeting with Ukrainian men, women, and youth. Even as I begin to fill my suitcase, my heart is already overflowing with excitement and expectations about what God will be doing in my life while I am there.
The underlying purpose of this letter is to invite you to join our team. There are two components in which you can be involved in our trip without a plane ticket. The first, and most important, is prayer. We need many who are willing to step up and commit to pray for our team and the people of Ukraine. I have a personal goal of finding ten people who are serious about covering every area of our fourteen day trip in prayer while we are gone. Please let me know if you would like to be part of that ten person team. Here are a few specific prayer requests I have:
  • Safe travel to and from Ukraine, in addition to in-country transportation
  • Spiritual growth of those we are going to serve in Ukraine
  • Spiritual growth of members of our team serving in Ukraine
  • Clear communication across language and cultural barriers
  • Smooth, safe home life for families back home in our absence
The second, less important but more tangible, is the need for financial support. I would appreciate your help in raising the $1,300 needed to help pay for my portion of travel and lodging expenses. Please consider becoming part of our financial support team with a gift of any size. If you are able to give, please make your tax deductible checks payable to Calvary Community Church and send to my address at:
(to be safe I edited this info out...but our church's website is here if you feel led to send to them)
Thank you for your time and consideration of my invitation to join our team as we travel to Horol, Ukraine..
In service of the King,
Mitch Theis

If I think of it, I will update each day with prayer requests (we were given a calendar)...if I can...not sure how fun it will be revisiting my single parenting days! This time I won't be able to call him on the phone daily, but at least I know for sure when he's coming back.

We did send out this letter, but we can definitely still use some people to step forward and agree to be part of Mitch's 10 who will pray for the team (ok, our old ALC college buddies, this is YOU! LOL). If you want to be on that team, email me: stephtheis at gmail dot com and I'll send you a copy of the prayer calendar. Thank you!!!

Oh, and the whole part about packing suitcases? Well, they really are bringing supplies to the local church there--their own personal belongings must fit into solely a carry on--the suitcases are so crammed full of much-needed supplies. Cool, huh?

Here's a pic of the team:

1 comment:

  1. Well, of course I'll be praying!

    Just as a side note, maybe for those that started reading your blog AFTER the Texas experience would like a link to the main post that describes your "single-parenting" days...

    You can still call me every day when he's gone :)

    ReplyDelete