Thursday, July 31, 2008

Update from Mitch today

Today's update was just so sweet. :) His English continues to degrade.

Hey Girl,

We great week so far at adventure camp. Josh and Mitch on sports. Very hot out there on field. I am speaking tomorrow for camp, sharing testimony with camp at closing rally. I went to bed at 9 pm last night because my back hurt so badly. Much pain today also. We went to a nearby village played in city park. Soccer and ultimate frisby, they killed us soccer, but we regained some dignity in ultimate frisby. Many youth came, very fun. Miss you much, the time is flying by. We leave Monday, but seems like we just arrived. I could really just move over here. I would sell everything and come next year if I could. More later, I check a few times a day, so write often. Later

Unfortunately, he may get to check email often, but I am short on time and don't get to email him often enough. I wish I could say my days were flying by like his are! Today was a jam-packed day. We picked up Eden's new retainer ($54), I saw the chiropractor, and Kristin came over and helped sew diapers (3rd time this week) until bedtime. We actually got SO MUCH done today here. I am going to celebrate by going to bed at a decent hour. Here is Friday's prayer calendar for the Horol team:

Last day of camp. The parents will be at the closing program. Pray for the Holy Spirit to open their hearts to hear and see God's love, and know that God keeps His promises.

1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

The calendar actually said only 1 Peter 1:4, but that didn't make sense to me, so I put it in context.

Mitch typed out his testimony before he went. He spent a lot of time going over it carefully to remove any cliche's that would be hard to translate. He wanted to give it to the translator ahead of time so that s/he could work on translating it accurately (rather than on the fly). Because he wrote it out, I happen to have it here and can share it with you (I sure hope it doesn't embarrass him if I do so...):

Hello, my name is Mitch Theis. I want to thank you for the opportunity to speak to you about the difference Jesus has made in my life.

I live in the United States of America. When I was growing up there I felt lonely, even around my friends. I was doing lots of good activities, but still had no big meaning for my life. While I was still young, I had already become involved in heavy drinking of alcohol. I had also begun to do more and more activities that I needed to hide from my parents. I was attempting to find acceptance and meaning for my life in many wrong ways.

When I was 17 years old, I needed help because I was in so much trouble. My family had moved away and I had stayed behind. I had treated my girlfriend badly, and she would not even speak to me. At this very low point in my life God made some things happen that allowed me to consider if he was real. A Christian family let me live with them for a few months. This Christian family showed me how to love God and love one another. They introduced me to the truth of the Bible. Most important of all, I began to know God, not just know about God.
One night I was reading in the New Testament about sin and eternity. I began to understand that I was a sinful person, completely unable to save myself. I repented of my sin and asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. From that time on, I have continued to grow in my relationship with Jesus.

I still continue to struggle with sin, and I always will because we have a sinful nature. But that struggle becomes less and less every year. My wife and I are working hard to raise our children to know God from an early age. We want them to know the joy and peace of having their sins forgiven and following Jesus.

As I finish, I would like you to consider sin and eternity as I did when I was 17. According to the Ten Commandments, all of us are sinful and have fallen short of God’s standard of morality. Because justice is part of God’s character, he must punish sin. He provided a way for justice to be served and sin to be forgiven through Jesus. The wrath of God was satisfied by the death of Jesus on the Cross. Each of us, individually, can have forgiveness of sins if we allow God to be our Lord and Savior. If you have never repented of your sins, I would urge you to consider the length of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment