Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My New Life

Wow, it's been a busy September! I thought I would give a summary of our new schedule and how it's all working out.

Mitch was officially home full time on September 1st. That was our first day of school. Labor day is one of our paid days off in our daycare policy, so we didn't have daycare that day. We dove right in with daycare on September 2nd, adding a few kids to the point that we have 4 here full time and 1 school-ager just in the mornings. Next month we'll add 2 more. It doesn't sound so bad, does it?

Mitch's day sometimes begins at 3:30 am. One family *sometimes* drops off that early. We usually know the night beforehand and a phone call at 3:30 wakes him up to let him know they are 5 min away. So far they always go back to sleep easily. His day begins again at 6 am when the next family arrives. This family has a 7-week old little boy and a 5-year old little girl. The little girl was here years ago when she was only about a year old. She's a beautiful little girl with LOTS of spirit. Ahem. She moves all the time. On the bright side, her parents say they love having her here--we apparently wear her out. I can see that. :) She typically falls back asleep and needs to be woken for breakfast at 8 (doesn't always go over so well). The baby usually fusses through the morning until about 8 when he dozes off for a morning nap.

I roll out of bed around 7 am, just in time to meet my favorite not-quite-2-year old little girl at the door. She is SO sweet. I love her and I love her mom. Super cute with big blue eyes and straight blonde hair. And if the 3:30 am family did not arrive at the unnatural hour, they will be in by 7:40 am. Everyone goes straight to the table for breakfast, which Mitch and one kid makes. I made a menu for the entire month of September, and that's posted on the wall. We participate in the Child & Adult Care Food Program, so each of our meals has to include certain components from each of the food groups, and we are subject to unannounced home visits at any time to make sure we are in compliance. In return, we are reimbursed a portion of our food costs. It's a fantastic program! What burns my cookies is that daycare children under this program eat BETTER and MORE than kids in the public school do!

By the time breakfast is done and cleaned up, Mitch takes the kids to the basement for a while to play and read books. They also listen to music and play games together. They're not there for long when it's time to come back upstairs for snack. While they're down there I try to get odd-ball things done like paperwork, bills, etc. Usually the baby wakes up during this time and I have to feed him (which can sometimes take upwards of 1/2 hour). After snack they head outside for play time. This gives me another 1/2 hour of "free time" before I need to start making lunch. I usually have a kid helper for that. Kids come back in for lunch and that takes us up to 1 pm. As we are cleaning up from lunch we have kids settle down for quiet time. Everyone younger than Zeke takes a nap (hopefully that includes the baby). Zeke & 5 yo read books quietly until I am ready to start preschool with them. We spend about 1-1.5 hours in the afternoon on preschool activities. I'm very impressed with how fast Zeke is picking it up! :) I knew he was ready for school.

We have another snack at 3 pm, and right after that kids start leaving (well, one left at 1 pm). Everyone is gone by 3:45. How did we manage to work that one out? All throughout the day our older kids are working on school work. They do as much as they can on their own. During some times we are able to do lessons with them. For example, when they are downstairs playing, or sometimes they will go outside with Mitch and the kids to do a lesson. While I'm doing preschool with Zeke and 5 yo, they also cram in some lessons. We're not real good at this part yet, though. We keep coming up short. By 4 pm, we usually have books all over the place and are working hard with the kids to play catch up. Micah is a very good self worker (like his Momma). He works hard and gets his work done. He is having some issues with honesty though. So we have to keep checking ("inspect what you expect" is something my good friend Laura K says). Caleb is good too. He needs a list to check off so he doesn't forget anything, but otherwise he is driven to get his work done. He's easily motivated. Eden on the other hand is very flighty and spacey. She would rather get up for drinks of water then need to make several bathroom trips, singing and dancing all the way. Not forgetting to stop and check the mirror a few times. (Maybe like her Momma a little too? Ouch. LOL). She needs lots of motivation and encouragement and is really stretching her Daddy's teaching abilities!

One or the other of us makes supper with a kid's help sometime around 6 or 7 pm, we eat, clean up, do dessert, and head to bed fairly late--around 8:30 or 9 pm.

Notice that in this very full schedule there is no time for me to actually go sew. I'll get to that in a minute.

Mitch is still working outside the home some. He works at the group home every other weekend. He pulls two long days to total up about 24 hours. He does enjoy working with his boys!

This is not a well-oiled tight ship. But we're getting there. It's MUCH easier with two people here all the time. In fact, I have NO idea how in the world I ever did daycare largely on my own before. I had Josh and another little boy, both about the same age, from the time Josh was 2 weeks old, plus toddlers and preschoolers all day. Crazy. In my new life, the dishes are done after each meal and the counter and table are clean between meals (except for the occasional schoolwork going on there). Toys stay pretty well cleaned up between times. The floor gets vacuumed somewhat regularly, and Mitch swears he swept the kitchen floor 3 times today alone!

Things that are not going so well:
Laundry (I don't like my family closet and having to hang the laundry as much as other people seem to like theirs. Mine is always a mess with clothes and hangers on the floor. I used to be so good at laundry!! )
Attitudes (It's hard to be together 24/7. Me and Mitch. Me and the kids. Mitch and the kids. Etc.)
Schoolwork (the kids get behind often. I thought this was true last year too--I seem to be able to handle 2 kids, but not 3. I guess it's a lot like learning to juggle, something Mitch and I both can do.)
Dividing responsibilities (we did this to some extent before we began daycare, but now we realize that our lines need to be much more clear about who is doing what)
Sewing time

OK, so I don't get any time to sew--at least not on a predictable basis--during the daycare day. When I do go sew during daylight hours I feel guilty for doing so (afterall there's laundry to catch up on, or kids that need help with schoolwork). When I go sew in the evenings after kids are in bed, then I do it while Mitch is having "down time" and I feel jealous. I also feel utterly exhausted. Walking in to my sewing room makes me feel nauseous. And that's a terrible thing!! Up to this point I haven't had a break more than a couple days here and there since March. I don't want to reach burnout. I love Pampered Cheeks and I really, really love all my customers. So I could use some prayer for strength to get through this bump in the road.

That brings me up to my last topic, which is a rather big one, and rewarding to you for making it this far! :) I have a little help feeling exhausted and nauseous and that would be because baby #7 is on the way. I am 9 weeks along today. I am aching and yearning for week 12 to come and I can feel like I'm over the hump of "awake sickness". Mitch and I are thrilled that God has blessed us with another baby. We haven't told the rest of the kids yet. For now we are enjoying winks and nods and laying very cryptic hints around. If they don't know by the time I make it to my 20-week ultrasound (which should be in early December), we'll tell them then as an early Christmas present. I think it is kind of funny to keep it a secret from them. The other day we were on our way to church and Eden says, "Mom, if you have another baby, are you going to find out what you are having or are you going to do that thing again where you don't tell us until it's born." I said to her, "Eden, if it is a boy you are going to be disappointed whether you find out at the ultrasound, or at birth!" She said, "I don't like to wait, though." And I said, "Well, maybe I won't tell you that I'm pregnant at all." She said, "Oh, I'd KNOW." Mitch and I just winked and snickered. Oh, and for the record, I will most definitely try to find out what I'm having this time. I need new diapers!! :)

I am trying to be healthier this pg. I wasn't going to be. I was just going to be business as usual. Then I thought about the kidney stones I had last time. And how not-fun pushing out a 9-lb baby was. So I decided to see if I could go one day without Pepsi. I told myself that the carbonation causes heartburn. I told myself that the after-burps are gross and make me feel sick to my stomach. So far I'm on day 5 with absolutely no Pepsi or other pop. I did it cold-turkey!! I didn't even have any when Mitch and I went out to eat on Saturday. I have been drinking about 64 oz of water every day and peeing more than I ever have in my life. I haven't even been doing lemonade. I have cut back on my sugar/candy intake too. Instead of reaching for a handful of chocolate chips, I reach for a handful of grapes. I asked the kids tonight what they think a long-term goal for me should be. It was funny to hear their responses. Finally I said, "Maybe I should just try to make it the rest of the way through today." That brought laughs and groans all around. :)

So let's hope and pray that in a couple more weeks we'll have more of the kinks in our schedule worked out, that I'll have energy returning, and that all of us will get used to the new life. The older I get the more set in my ways I become. I don't like change. Well, at least I'm less flexible that I used to be. I went to my local Joann Fabrics store recently and they were remodeling. I didn't realize that meant they would rearrange the entire store (not sure what else it could mean). I was so upset I nearly turned around and left. I had an instant headache and thought I might throw up. I guess I overreacted a little. So hopefully we'll get used to it all soon. I'm also anxious to see how our new budget will work out. I know God has a plan. But it's interesting how His plan is unfolding to say the least. From how it looks now, we will be doing just fine. About the middle of October. :)


  1. This cracked me up -
    "and head to bed fairly late--around 8:30 or 9 pm"
    I'm sure you meant the kids, but there are many nights when I collapse at 8:00 just as soon as they are in bed. I'm sure you can relate with the added exhaustion your little pea brings.

    Oh Eden... don't you love having a girl?? Can you imagine how she'd be in public school with a bunch of other flighty girls? Mine isn't quite there yet, but if she's anything like her mother... heaven help us. LOL!

    I'm with you on the sewing. I closed up shop and haven't touched my machine in a month. Walking in my sewing room makes me nauseous too. I was really pushing myself too hard before though. If you figure out a way to keep up with orders and not suffer burnout let me know. Part of me wants to sew, but I just can't bring myself to start lest it grow into a monster again.

    I'm truly shocked that your secret is still safe. If you make it to 20 weeks hiding a basketball, you are amazing!!

    It was fun reading about your day, good luck working out the last few kinks. You're doing what God led you to do, so He'll help you figure out all the mechanics and maintain sanity.

  2. Good to know there is still life on that end of town! I sure miss our visits and phone chats, but I'm trying to get over it. :(

    I'm also reminded that I need to blog again! I always think of it at the worst times... and by the time I have a break and could sit down to work on it I just don't want to.

    I can't believe none of your kids have figured out your *secret*. You're really not as cryptic as you think! LOL I love the story about Eden. :)

    My kids are enjoying calling their baby sister by name... tho Chase thinks it sounds more like a boy name. LOL

    Here's hoping we'll get a chance to hang out soon!


  3. Congrats on baby #7!!!! It sounds like your DH is really doing his part with the daycare...that is awesome! I hope you can find some time and desire to start sewing again!

  4. I'm tired just READING your post! Whew! You have been blessed with amazing energy, insight and calmness. Really---you have! Many prayers your way for health and the power to continue at full speed!

  5. I need to come and drink your water. Congratulations on #7!!!! We are doctoring to get #2. :)

  6. I am really, really happy about baby #7!! You are very blessed. My grandmother had 7 girls, and I always thought it was a lucky # of kids to have. I admire quiverfull families a great deal. I'm sending you pink vibes, and easy delivery vibes.

  7. Congrats on the pregnancy!!