Friday, January 30, 2009

URGENT: A Glimmer of Hope!!

Today the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the agency responsible for interpreting and enforcing the new CPSIA law, issued a statement saying they are granting a one-year stay of testing and certification requirements for certain products. You can read the statement here:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09115.html

I'm still trying to sort through it all and also research the comments of those who have proved to be smarter than I about all this legal mumbo jumbo.

Here are some quotes that give me hope:

"Manufacturers and importers – large and small – of children’s products will not need to test or certify to these new requirements, but will need to meet the lead and phthalates limits, mandatory toy standards and other requirements."

Ok, so we won't have to test, but we still can't exceed the limits. That's good, because I now have reasonable proof that the products I use to make my diapers contain no or only ridiculously small amounts of lead.

"The decision by the Commission gives the staff more time to finalize four proposed rules which could relieve certain materials and products from lead testing and to issue more guidance on when testing is required and how it is to be conducted. "

This stay will only last for 1 year, but during that time, they may be able to exclude certain products from testing for good.

This next part is the part I like so much, because it specifically targets me, the at-home "crafter."

"The stay of enforcement provides some temporary, limited relief to the crafters, children’s garment manufacturers and toy makers who had been subject to the testing and certification required under the CPSIA. These businesses will not need to issue certificates based on testing of their products until additional decisions are issued by the Commission. However, all businesses, including, but not limited to, handmade toy and apparel makers, crafters and home-based small businesses, must still be sure that their products conform to all safety standards and similar requirements, including the lead and phthalates provisions of the CPSIA.

Handmade garment makers are cautioned to know whether the zippers, buttons and other fasteners they are using contain lead. Likewise, handmade toy manufacturers need to know whether their products, if using plastic or soft flexible vinyl, contain phthalates."

There is some talk that this stay actually doesn't take effect for 30 days. During the next 30 days the public has a chance to issue comments and input, then it will be revised and reissued. I'm not sure if this is accurate information. I think at this point it is looking very safe for me to continue to sell diapers, or at least plan on being able to sell diapers, beyond Feb. 10, 2009.

Now if my dang serger would just get fixed. Could someone say a prayer for that??? LOL. I really just need to call them and see what the hold-up is. It will be 3 weeks on Tuesday that they have been holding it hostage. Argh!!

5 comments:

  1. Does that mean we might be able to have a few squishy soft PC's for the new baby? :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things will look up, Steph.
    Are you going to sell those patterns you drafted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, my first round of patterns are ready to go. I'm going to work on my website today. I'm thinking about doing a "presale" launch date. There is a coop that may actually get first dibs and be able to get the pattern before anyone else can. ;)

    I also started the next round of patterns, my Growing Cheekies line of sized fitteds. I'm really excited about those too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Steph this is so great!! I'm happy for you that it won't be affecting your business and what a blessing that this little scare was used to nudge you to branch out into pattern printing. Why oh why do we fret so? God surely has it all in control and He never for a second was going to leave you/us hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee-hee :) The first thought I had when I origninally saw your post was "what about her serger?" So sorry you haven't heard anything yet. Need me to go in and throw around some muscle for you? LOL

    Speaking of patterns... I'm going to need to make sure my size smalls are right before I start sewing. I'd like to make at least 1/2 dozen for J.

    Off to nurse the baby, and then to the bathroom to give it a good scrub down!

    ReplyDelete