Friday, April 24, 2009

Tirzah Update


We are so excited she is here and home now! Thanks to Kristin for updating the blog for me!! :) I have so much to tell about her birth and first few days, plus a gazillion pictures to share, but for now I'm exhausted and ready for a nap. We came home yesterday and I pretty much spent the day getting settled (ie: wearing myself out). Today we went to the hospital early for a bilirubin check then straight to the doctor. Of course, her jaundice is at a level 14, so we were sent home with a bilibed. These are not my favorite. The little koala blankets are nicer because you can hold the baby, but I think the bed may be more efficient (and I do like efficiency!). Since we are headed into the weekend, it was the best course of action to take. We go back on Monday for another draw, and hopefully we will be done with the light therapy then. That means 5 out of 7 of my kids have been on a light. I refused the vitamin K shot this time, in hopes that would reduce her bili level, but she had a nasty bruise on her head that was working against my efforts! That and her poor feeding. :P

She is not the best eater. She's very lazy. She likes the "fast" milk, and then loses interest after the first couple minutes of being latched on. So after trying my darndest during a feeding to get her to eat I finish by using a syringe and giving her pumped milk. Then I pump whatever is left to save for next time. This is a little less complicated than it started out--I used to have to use a nipple shield to get her to suckle (she had a great latch, just wouldn't suckle). I've nursed 6 other babies and certainly had bumps in the road, but this one tops them all! I do not enjoy the time-consuming work of pumping nor of coaxing her to nipple while she gets a syringe full of milk. Oh well, I am praying that this is just a phase that will pass soon. Hopefully in a few days she'll be more enthusiastic about eating. Yesterday she was dehydrated and didn't pee for about 19 hours...that was a frustrating experience as well. Thankfully she is peeing and pooping in abundance now.

Allright, I'm off to nap now!! Enjoy the pic of my sweet, content little girl!

2 comments:

  1. He-he... when I saw your update on my RSS reader I said, "It's about time!" LOL She looks great! Not even all that yellow in the pic, and very content. The headband is very cute. :) Off to deal with my screaming baby! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had to add the headband to do SOMETHING to make her look girly!! :)

    ReplyDelete