Wednesday, May 06, 2009

A Local Contest

One of our local Christian Radio Stations, Spirit 92.9, is hosting a Phillips, Craig, and Dean concert this month. They are renting our new worship center too, and the concert is sold out--cool! I'm not sure why, but there was/is no opening act for the show, so the radio station decided to hold a contest to select a local person to do the opening show--very cool! The station held auditions a la "American Idol" style. Now the contest is in the final round--the contestants have been narrowed down to just four. Over the next couple of weeks, two contestants will be eliminated. On the night of the show the final two will go on stage and sing one song each. The winner will be announced, and will go on to sing a couple more songs. (At least, that's how I understand it, maybe my details are a *little* wrong, if so I apologize). The best part is two of the four finalists are Mitch's former students from St. Cloud Christian School--VERY very cool. :)

You can participate in the contest if you'd like to. Each of the finalists recorded one song, and those songs are being played on the radio now through the end of the contest. You can also listen to them online. Then the voting is online. I don't really want it to be a popularity contest, so I won't tell you who to vote for, but we are cheering on Sarah S. and Mark A. :) You can go hear them here: http://spirit929.com/pages/OpeningAct I wish you could see video--Mark knows how to jam with his guitar. (Personally I don't think his song is a good fit for him--we are privileged to have him on the worship team at church and I KNOW he does an incredible job.). I think Sarah's is the best!

This contest has been SO popular that I'm seriously thinking there needs to be something similar on a little bit larger scale. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this. It was so cool to see all the people who were participating. While I was in the hospital even one of the nurses said her teenage son was auditioning. How fun is that?! It's such a neat way to connect our community. Very cool that it's "family friendly"--even Christian--too.

I'm so proud of these "kids" for being in the contest. It's fun to think, "I knew you when..."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about voting! I'd forgotten. :) But, I've been and voted now. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's really cool! That would be super neat to see a large scale Christian version of American Idol.

    ReplyDelete