Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Past Week

Where do I start? This week was easily the hardest week I've had since Mitch went to Texas 2 years ago. I guess to tell this story I have to back up a little.

On July 18th, Mitch went to play basketball. He was enjoying it, however at one point in the game he rolled his ankle both ways and suffered a pretty bad sprain. He's done it before, so he chose not to go to the doctor. He did complain considerably and try to stay off it the next week (although he really wanted to try to go play ball again the following evening). Finally a week later, after not being able to walk well on it without excruciating pain, he went to urgent care. He was x-rayed, admonished for not coming in the DAY it happened, and given a boot to wear.

{Picture above: Mitch's self-portrait to put on Facebook
Picture below: kid's portrait that shows his "boot."}

He was told to return to the doctor for follow up. He didn't take orders too seriously. He didn't wear his boot as often as he was told. And he didn't follow up with the doctor until after a month, his leg still was in a good deal of pain, and very stiff with no range of motion in his ankle. The doctor took x-rays again and sent them to a specialist to follow up. This time they examined a little higher up on his leg and noticed a fracture. Seriously??

He still didn't wear his boot as often as he was told. In fact, when we went camping he didn't wear it at all, and we did a lot of walking! On September 10th, nearly 2 months after the original injury, he went to see a specialist who told him he must NEVER take the boot off (except for showers), especially at night, and he MUST stay off his foot for 3 weeks--no weight on it at all.

All of a sudden my guy has a good dose of reality and decides to take this seriously. ;) So he is completely off his foot, and I am busy!! So while we were used to operating our daycare together, and there are certainly things he can do even while sitting on his bum, it was a tough week and I carried much more work than normal. He is not sleeping well at night with the boot on, which also complicates things. The end result means that, well, I didn't get much free time this week! I'm physically exhausted...thank goodness there's only 2 weeks to go, and I'm praying it will be completely healed!

Someone else at our house is exhausted. :) Patrick has been working hard at school and Soccer, and he is drained. We celebrated his 17th birthday on Monday. This was our attempt at a German birthday wish. :)

For a birthday present, we made a fleece tie blanket with him. We told him that come winter he will need it. ;)

It has been really warm and beautiful out this week. We enjoyed a wonderful September sunset on Patrick's birthday.

Last night Papa (Mitch's dad) took me, Josh, Selena (Hope's daughter), and Patrick fishing on the Mississippi river. I didn't tell Paul, but I am SO afraid of being on a boat on the river. He took us right down by the dam. I did well in spite of my fear. We went late in the day, when the sun was at it's best, and I took lots of pictures. I have heard it called the "magic hour." I'll tell you what, it was the perfect end to a long, hard week. Mitch kept Tirzah, and for the first time I did not feel guilty about leaving her, only relieved to be getting out without her.

{Patrick and Josh}

{Papa, Selena and Josh with the "Cloud Maker" (as my dad called it so many years ago) in the background}

Ok, funny story. My dad visited Minnesota when Micah was a newborn baby. We lived just up the hill from the river. That is when, for a reason I can't remember now, he knick-named the paper mill the "Cloud Maker." I loved the name and it stuck. All of our kids have called it that. Last night as we drove to the dock Josh exclaimed, "What is that?" I told him of course. He was fascinated and TOTALLY believed me. What was so fun later was to hear him telling Papa all about what it was. ;) I wish I had my video on. He was SO serious.

{The leaves are starting to turn}

{I caught the only fish--a small rock bass. Josh was pretty impressed. He kissed it before we threw it back in the water.}

{Patrick on the Mississippi}

{This photo needs a good de-motivational title. Got it totally on accident.}

We took our boat back in soon after the photo above. There were lots of fish at times showing up on the Sonar (and Josh wondered why we couldn't just catch *that one*). They just weren't interested in biting. The water temp was 75F. Maybe it's just too warm. What do I know? I just overheard Paul say it. :)


  1. Glad to know everything is okay there! Been so busy with everything here I just check in and out to see how things are. Hope you get your rest soon. Take care! Love and miss you all!!

  2. Sorry to hear about the bad week. Hopefully things will go smoother soon.

    Love the pictures of the river! Josh is such a cutie!

  3. [[[HUGS]]] Wish I could come help, but as you know, I bring more work. ;) Glad you survived fishing on the river (and, how cool that you caught the only fish!).

    I have to share the "Cloud Maker" story with Tim's dad. He used to work there. You could tell Josh that my kids grandpa used to work there... I'm sure he'd be super impressed! LOL

    Love ya,