Thursday, October 08, 2009

Reflection

There have been so many times in my life where I have sat and just wondered, "God, what are you trying to teach me through this?" We all experience difficulties. Some more than others. I am grateful that our major "drama" around here is mild in comparison to so many others.

Mitch and I have been married for going on 13 years. It was brought to my attention recently from an outsider's point of view that we have had our fair share of "issues." OH! How I wish I had complained less over the lessons and instead did more trusting! I interpreted this person's vision as that of only the storms of our lives...not seeing each rainbow afterwards.

Or how often have I sat and begged God for certain things? In the moment, each thing seems SO important. There is nothing else I can think of. I can't live or breathe another second if He doesn't intervene. He always intervenes.

Today I read two very good blog posts. So good that I can't not share them. Over at A Holy Experience, Ann Voskamp quotes her grandmother. She writes {poetically} about walking into her storage room to find that her children had been digging through tubs and made a mess. She felt spent. As her frustration mounted into despair, her eyes fell on a letter from her grandmother. He grandmother wrote:
"How you relate to life's events
Determines your joy or misery.
Whether your feelings are mean or kind
Your attitude to life is the key.
Don't wait to be happy until things are just right.
Don't let life's little annoyances get in the way...
You can be as happy as you decide to be."

Good wisdom for helping me get through all the tiny, frustrating interruptions of my days.

Next Pastor Matthew pointed me (and his readers) towards the Desiring God blog where Jon Bloom retells the story in John 13:1-11. My favorite snippets from that post:
"God understands and is patient with our confusion and even our deep wrestling or grief. But he wants us to trust him and not grumble. God’s ways are not our ways (Isaiah 55:8). His purposes for bringing or not bringing certain things to pass often extend far beyond us—maybe even generations beyond us.

So during those times we need to remember Jesus’ words to Peter: “What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.”

Our understanding his purposes in a particular providence tends to be not as important to God as our trust in his character. So together let’s continue to “trust in the Lord with all [our] heart, and…not lean on [our] own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5). Because one day we will understand. And we will, with great joy, proclaim, “The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works” (Psalm 145:17). "

And you really should go read the whole thing. It's THAT good.

God is working in my life. He has been doing amazing things over the past year. I want to proclaim His goodness!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that wonderful reminder! I found you through the qf blogroll. I'm also a qf homeschooling mom and blog about my adventures at http://miscellaneousmusings-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete