Thursday, November 05, 2009

I struggle

Last week I was on a roll for sure, and this week I struggle to write.

Tirzah has decided to stop self-soothing and refuses to suck her thumb. These were the good ole days for sure:

That picture was taken on October 23rd, and she had already started to not put herself to sleep...but she automatically put her thumb in her mouth after she was already asleep and in the bassinet. I grabbed the camera to take a picture, because I knew it was fading fast. I haven't seen her do it since then.

Since then:
Someone has always held her to sleep (unless she fell asleep in the car),
She now wakes up nearly every hour at night beginning sometime around midnight,
Naps during the day are shorter,
She is generally more crabby overall.

We have no explanation why she won't suck her thumb, but she won't suck a pacifier either. She won't even suck on my finger. She will bite my knuckle, however.

I am hoping that she figures out how to put herself to sleep again soon. We saw the doctor yesterday and she said she'd never heard of a 6 month old just stop sucking their thumb. Go figure. I had stopped giving her reflux meds earlier in October, so I am going to try giving her those again for the next week to see if that helps improve anything. Ugh...

I have had her sleeping in a bassinet beside my bed since she was born. Technically I should have stopped using it when she got to about 3 months, but it is so nice to have her right within arm's reach for middle of the night feedings. But it's clear at this point that she's outgrown it (she can nearly crawl out of it and onto the bed), so I need to transition her to a crib. Or something. I'm not really sure what to do yet. It won't solve the issue of getting her to fall asleep on her own or stay asleep, at least *I* don't think so. But it will keep her from waking up and falling! :)

It's not all bad...I may be exhausted (I stayed up late, and was up with her MANY times last night--including a 1-1/2 hour stretch), but I am determined to enjoy my day. It's FINALLY sunny here (over a week of clouds and rain) and tonight I get to go to a Mark Schultz and Point of Grace concert with Mitch. Hurray!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, lady, you're not going to get much sympathy from me. Be thankful for those nice long stretches of sleep that you DID get. My dear sweet little gal has been up HOURLY for the past 8 months and 3 weeks. The only thing that gets me through is that we co-sleep. I do hope that you are able to get her to start sleeping better for you, but know that even if you don't, God will continue to give grace sufficient to get you through each new day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you can be thankful that you won't be be breaking her from sucking her thumb later on. That's LOTS of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stephanie! This is Jodi, we spoke about diapers. You're family is so beautiful! Keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete