Thursday, December 03, 2009

What's to Come...

Mitch fulfilled a long-time dream of mine and snagged a wonderful deal on ebay for a used Nikon D80. Right out of the box I managed to take over 100 photos. It has my dream lens, a 50 mm f/1.8 prime lens. :) On this camera that is about a 75 mm, which means that I can't get very close to my subjects (I have to stand back a ways). It also means I can not zoom, but that's ok because I didn't typically zoom with my point-and-shoot camera anyways. I would like to be able to stand closer. 95% of my photos were taken "tall" simply to help me compose and get used to the lens + the camera. I'm sure I'll get better at it as I go. For now, here's a taste of what's to come. :) It is amazingly easy to get a "good" shot in low light (without the flash). I'm thrilled.










I can't decide which lens is on my wish list next, but it will probably be a zoom lens and will probably go down to something like 18 mm (so I can stand a little closer without filling the screen).

In other news, my family (everyone except me and Tirzah) left at 2:45 a.m. for Kentucky to visit Mitch's mom and step-dad for a few days. Wow, it's so quiet here that it's surreal. And that is with daycare kids! I'll have "only" 5 kids all day. And no homeschooling. Sweet!! Tomorrow will be 7 kids, and Monday back to only 5. I'm not sure how Tirzah is going to take to all the inactivity. Hopefully she doesn't go wild on me. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love how you can focus so well on the subject and have the background all blurred out! Now I'll have to rethink things... do I really want a Bernie of my own? Or do I want a Nikon SLR?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I'll be loving your pics and living vicariously though. So neat!

    ReplyDelete