Friday, February 26, 2010

Choosing the Right Path

Josh has been REALLY into drawing lately.  Seriously, I don't know where his interest comes from.  I always watch my friends' kids draw like little prodigies, but my children didn't really develop an interest in drawing and writing until they started school.  We were doing well to have them trying to color inside the lines.  :)  Ok, I'm exaggerating.  Micah probably wrote his name earlier than any of the other kids did, and all of them have had an interest in drawing at some point in time.  Josh just seems to be pretty creative at this point.

Today I decided to give him a maze to see what he could do.  If you think about it, completing a maze actually requires several skills.  Here are a few I thought of:
discipline (to not cheat, and to stay in the lines)
dexterity (to control the pencil)
comprehension (so you actually understand what the goal is)

fore-thought (so you don't try EVERY possible path)
perseverence (so you don't give up, even when things don't seem to be going the right direction)

Right away he "got it" and was doing so well that I had to grab my camera and capture the moment.

DSC_4082

DSC_4084
I could see that he was almost to the end, so I got where I could see his face and anticipated his joy...
DSC_4085
He was so excited and started clapping!  :)
DSC_4088

Tirzah learned something new this week too--she can now stand up in the middle of the room without hanging on to anything.  She turned 10 months old on Sunday.

DSC_4090

DSC_4091

DSC_4092

DSC_4093

These last pictures aren't really related, but I think it's pretty cool.  I want to remember to take my camera with me next time I go to town, but for now this is from our front yard.  The temperatures are finally warming up and slowly starting to melt the snow.  The ground underneath is still frozen, so that creates some issues with water pooling and refreezing overnight.  The way the snow looks along the side of the road, though, is wild!  There are enormous piles of snow in the parking lots of all the stores.  I remember back in November or so, when there hadn't been "much" snow yet, Patrick thought it was really funny.  I wonder what he thinks now!  (He's probably just as sick of it as the rest of us.)

DSC_4112

The kids dug this cave earlier this year, and now the back side of it has melted through.  Cool!

DSC_4116

Finally, I have been asked a lot recently about my camera and the pictures I take.  I am learning, and loving every minute of it.  To recap--I have a Nikon D80 that I bought used on ebay (or Mitch bought for me, rather).  It came with a 50mm F/1.8 AF prime lens, which I love.  Since then I have been blessed to receive 2 more lenses, which really opens up more possibilities for me.

Learning to take good pictures (or at least better pictures) has been easier with digital cameras--I shoot and shoot and shoot to my heart's content.  Don't ever be afraid to shoot!  Try something different and take the picture again.  A long time ago a friend of mine gave me a wonderful little book called, "How to Take Great Photographs with Any Camera" by Jerry Hughes.  And they mean ANY camera.  I think anyone who would like to take better pictures should start there.  I am now on a waiting list at the library for a couple new books geared for digital SLR cameras...I can't wait!

But I wanted to show you that you CAN take great pictures with ANY camera.  One of my favorite blogs has a cool post today showcasing photos taken with a Blackberry cell phone camera at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado.  Go check them out!  The Great Epic Blackberry Shootout of Awesomeness

1 comment:

  1. J will have to take some lessons from T when we get together this weekend. ")

    My kids have always LOVED to draw... all of them. I'm always amazed at their creativity. Unless of course it's an assignment. Then, forget it... they "can't think of anything to draw"! LOL

    So, when are you going to loan me that book so I can learn to take great pictures with my dinky little camera? Now I have a dilemma... do I want a truly great camera -- or a Bernie of my very own?? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete