Friday, April 16, 2010

Pneumonia

Mitch has a confirmed case of pneumonia.  He has been coughing for a long time (2 months maybe??).  Two weeks ago he woke up with a fever (could have been a virus), and I sent him to the express care doctor.  He did 5 days of Zithromax.  He wasn't feeling better at the end of 5 days (fever was gone, cough was the same), so I sent him to see his regular doctor (1 week ago).  We also did some good research on chronic coughing.  At the doctor he was given an x-ray and a breathing test. The doctor determined that he was having an asthmatic sort of effect and prescribed Adavair.  Today the doctor's office called back to confirm his x-ray showed pneumonia.  His cough has seemed better since being on the Adavair.  He has to go back in next week for a follow-up x-ray to make sure the pneumonia is clearing.   Because I had my spleen removed I am at a higher risk of contracting pneumonia.  I am glad that I have not caught it, even though I've been exposed to the same germs that Mitch has.  I had a slew of vaccines, so maybe that helped some.  We seem to be tag-teaming on the illness thing (his broken leg--my spleen--his pneumonia).  We joked about our marriage vows being "in sickness and in health."  Yes, we are committed through both!  But I hope that he is feeling better soon and then we ALL stay well for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I'm glad they found out about the pnemonia! I've been on Advair for 8 years now. I cough a LOT the first few weeks of being on it whenever I lapse out and have to restart it again - but nothing like that first time going on it. Think about how much that will help get all the crud out of his lungs! He'll be feeling much better!

    Wishing you both good health, at the same time in the future!

    ReplyDelete