Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Book Review: Friendship for Grownups by Lisa Welchel


I just finished reading Lisa Whelchel's new book, Friendship for Grown-ups: What I Missed & Learned Along the Way.  Lisa invites the reader to join her on her own personal journey to develop healthy, intimate friendships in her adult life.  She tells warm and engaging personal stories to help the reader understand her own deep struggles in forming true friendships.  Lisa is open and honest, and draws the reader in to feel like already a best friend.  Lisa interweaves scripture as well as quotes from respected authors (especially Henry Cloud and John Townsend).

While I don't personally struggle with developing intimate friendships, I found this book WONDERFULLY refreshing to read.  It highlighted many things I have to be thankful for in my own life, especially my best friend Kristin, and other close friends I have.  There are many, many good principles here that may be applied to other areas of life (good psychological stuff that doesn't come off as "clinical" to read), and Lisa breaks it down very well to a level that is easy to relate and understand.  Lisa also gently draws the reader in and presents the Gospel in a beautiful way.  I highly recommend this book and if you are a member of a Mom's group or Bible study, I suggest you consider reading this book in your group (study questions are already included)! 

Since this is my third book review for BookSneeze, and my first two were somewhat negative, I'm also thrilled and relieved to give a positive review.  I will definitely be looking to read some of Lisa's other books (I have read and recommend "Creative Correction")!  I am so excited to loan this book out to my friends.  :)

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com <http://BookSneeze.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” 

1 comment: