Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm so glad it's Monday!

Just like anyone else, I normally love the weekends.  Weekends represent a change of pace around here--fewer kids (ha!), time to sew, time to go to church, Patrick is home from school, sleeping in (ha!)--I could go on and on.  I think I mentioned before that Mitch, Patrick, and Micah were heading up to the Boundary Waters this past weekend for a canoe/camping trip, right?  Well on the home front I think I just barely survived.  :)  By noon Sunday I was pretty sure I was never going to let Mitch go anywhere without me ever again.  Before they come home to tell their exciting stories, here's how my weekend went down.

Thursday night Mitch decided Caleb could go with them.  The weather Friday was looking cold and wet, so he was concerned for Caleb (and really didn't want any extra whining), but the rest of the weekend was looking so nice.  They spent the evening packing up their things, then tried to get to sleep around 10 pm.  They were up at 1:30 am, I kissed Mitch goodbye, and didn't hear them again.  Since this story is about me, I need to mention here that before I went to bed I was already feeling ill.  My neck felt very stiff and I commented, "Wow, I haven't felt this bad in a long time."  So I took some tylenol before bed.  Tirzah woke up at 2:30 am...yay me...and was up for an HOUR.  Ugh.  Little rat.  :)  We have some daycare children that come at 6 am, so I was up early.  I actually woke up before my alarm went off because I had so much trouble sleeping.  I noticed right away that I felt terrible.  My throat was sore.

Fast forward a few hours.  I gradually felt worse and worse and began running a low-grade fever.  Took some more tylenol.  It was hard to focus, but I forced myself through the steps of the day.  What else was I going to do?  This sure was a lousy end of the deal!  By 4:30 my temperature had finally hit the magic 101.6 mark, and I got an after-hours appointment at the clinic.  I dropped Tirzah off at Holly's and had Eden watch Zeke, Josh, and Malachi at home.  The verdict?  Strep throat.  I have never had strep throat.  At least not in my recollection.  I have been exposed MANY times in recent years.  I attribute my susceptibility now to the fact that I had my spleen out in January.  :(

Picked up some amoxicillin.  (Pause.  When Mitch has pneumonia, they give him a z-pack.  Sweet--1 pill per day for 5 days.  The girl with no spleen gets what?  2 pills 2 times per day for 10 days.  The same girl who can't remember a daily vitamin.  Grrrrr.  Unpause.) Headed home for the couch and a movie.  We watched the movie Hachiko: A Dog's Story.  It's a good movie, but never ever watch it when you have strep throat.  Or when someone you love is away.  It's kind of slow and boring, unless you are like me and love the music.  By the end of the movie my fever had hit 103.4 even with tylenol.  I waited up until time for the next dose of tylenol, then collapsed in bed.  In the middle of the night I woke up VERY uncomfortable.  My fever was 104.8.  That pretty much freaked me out.  I kicked off all my blankets and opened the window, and started to cool down.

Saturday was better.  I took it in bursts.  I would get up and do what needed to be done, then either sit or lie and rest for a while.  Thankfully the weather was nice, so the kids got to play outside a long time and were well entertained.  Bonnie came to my rescue and ran to the post office for me, then later brought us pizza for supper (thank you, Bonnie!!!).  Then she and Eden ran the little kids through the bath tub...nice.  The day wasn't a total wash--I got lots of little things done that needed to be done.  I went to bed thinking that we would stay home from church on Sunday.  I should have went with that thought.

On Sunday morning I woke up feeling much better.  I still had a sore throat, but the aches and fever were greatly diminished and I was well-rested.  Since everyone was clean and I was feeling so much better, we decided to try church.  The first bad thing about this decision was that I had to drive the big van.  I love the big van.  But I love it more when I don't have to drive it.  It looks nice sitting in my driveway.  It's fun to clean.  I even like rearranging the car seats.  But I can't say I feel very comfortable sitting in the driver's seat.  At least the view is nice.  I am having a hard time adjusting to it.  The second bad thing about this decision is that we take all our children into church with us, we do not cart them off to "Children's Church".  Well, two wiggly little boys and one screaming toddler were too much for even a healthy mama.  Church had barely even gotten started when Tirzah was screaming in my arms and Chi and Josh were hitting each other.  My friend Devona came to my rescue and sat with my two boys.  I tried everything to get Tirzah calmed down, but finally relented and dropped her off in the church nursery.  Now it's manageable, right?  Wrong.  Malachi normally will sit the entire service on Mitch's lap, and will even fall asleep there.  Not this time.  He was bent on kicking the chair in front of us and squirming, and generally causing a {quiet} fuss.  As the cherry on top, before service started I had a chance to talk to Bobbi, whose hubby is camping with our boys up in the Boundary Waters also.  She asked if I'd heard from them.  I said no, of course not, Mitch was sure they'd have no cell service so he left his phone in the van.  But she had heard from John!  What?!  So here I am having just about the worst weekend ever (I'm prone to exaggeration at this point) and my hubby has NO idea but I *could* have been able to tell him.  I mean, I know he said he will be praying for me while they are away, but I have kinda been thinking--I would feel better if he at least knew WHAT to pray about.  I was jealous that Bobbi had talked to John (good to know they are not starving and the weather is nice), and I tried hard not to fume the whole way home from church.  Well, that is after I managed to herd all the children out the door, get them in the van, and navigate the parking lot without hitting anyone.  Yeah, I pretty much had to pray all day that I would not be bitter.  :)

Hope came over on Sunday afternoon and watched the kids so I could do my weekly grocery shopping and save whatever shred of sanity I had left.  I continued to pray that the seeds of bitterness would not grow in my heart.  I replayed in my mind over and over again what my first words to Mitch will be when he calls home to say they made it out and are on their way home.  I focused on this:  some bad things happened, and some very good things happened too.  We knew it would be hard work for me this weekend here alone, we just didn't know it would be THIS hard.  But do I want my focus to be the bad?  Or can I focus on the good?  Or how about if I don't focus on me at all, can I do that?  And then something amazing began to happen.  God began to answer my prayers.  My perspective shifted slightly.  I am genuinely excited to hear all about their trip.  I am sure they had some bad things happen, too, but I hope they had many more very good things happen.  I can't wait to hear each person's perspective, too.  I'm sure that Caleb will have some interesting stories to tell, as well as Patrick, Micah, Mitch, and Paul.

Today is Monday, and it's almost over.  They will be taking down their camp and canoeing out.  I can't wait to hear from Mitch.  I am praying that I hear FROM him first, not him hear from me first.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment