Monday, June 14, 2010

2010 FIFA World Cup

I know that if you are like me, living in America, and possibly DON'T watch T.V., you probably have no idea what FIFA World Cup is.  However, this is a big deal to our German boy.  So he is teaching us.

Of course, it is soccer.  It is a championship that happens every 4 years.  Last time (2006) it was in Germany.  Cool.

Surprisingly, the US qualified to be in the tournament, and played England on Saturday.  Even more surprising, they tied 1-1.  (Patrick sort of thought that England would crush us.  He joked, "I want to cheer for the US, but I don't think they will make it far..." LOL).  Tying is not as good as winning, Patrick explained, but it is certainly better than losing.

Germany played Australia on Sunday.  To show our pride, each kid (except Tirzah) wore a soccer jersey to church on Sunday morning.  On Sunday afternoon Mitch and I donned our jerseys too (which Mitch bought in Ukraine a couple years ago) for a family picture.  Tirzah borrowed Malachi's football jersey...which is not the same, but close enough.  (Since lots of our boys have worn this jersey, I couldn't help but think she looks SO much like her brothers).

DSC_8762

Germany crushed Australia 4-0.  Go Germany!!

2 comments:

  1. She does look a lot like her brothers!! Cutie! The picture is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture, Steph! You have such a beautiful family :)

    We're semi-into the World Cup around here thanks to my English dh (who to root for last Saturday? I guess a tie was the best possible outcome!) and even more because of our Brazilian friends, who are much more into it than dh and invited him to a party to watch Saturday's game. Funny that he *loved* that, but wants no part of the Super Bowl :)

    ReplyDelete