Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Bass Hunting

Last Friday night I was thrilled to be able to get away from the kids for a while and go fishing with Paul, Patrick, and Micah.  We were hunting bass on Middle Spunk Lake in Avon, MN.  I enjoyed fishing, but not touching the bait (especially not the leeches...disgusting little suckers, ugh) so I was glad to have the boys to help me.  I also didn't want to take off the fish that I caught, so again they helped me.  Since Paul promised me his boat would not tip, I trusted him and brought along my D80 to take some pictures.  It was fun to put down my pole once in a while and pick up my camera.

Paul hooked the first fish of the day--a bass--while trolling.
DSC_8246
Then I hooked this Pike.  It came up fighting and gnashing its teeth and pretty well scared me--I didn't want to reel it in.  No one would take my pole, so I had to.  LOL.  But Micah handed Paul the pliers and he took it off the hook for me.  No way I was going to hold it.  We released this tiny fish.  Later I hooked a bass, but Micah threw it back.  They said it was too small, but I think they were just jealous. 

DSC_8249
See--Micah does smile!

DSC_8284
Micah, Paul, and Patrick

DSC_8287
Patrick hooked a small-mouth bass.  This one was a keeper.

DSC_8359
I loved how these two goose families put all their goslings together.

DSC_8373
Micah and Papa.  Poor Micah didn't catch any fish other than a tiny sunfish.  Papa caught another small mouth bass that was big enough to keep.

Then as the sun was going down the big exciting moment happened--Patrick hooked a 17 1/2 inch small-mouth bass.
DSC_8387
He said, "I can see all the way down!"  It was pretty cool to look inside that fish's mouth.

DSC_8395
Lots of beautiful sunset photos.  The lake was nearly perfectly still.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo.....I love fishing, but haven't gotten to go in 4 years. My dad was my fishing partner. Guess I'll have to find another. Looks like you had lots of fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a girl! LOL Glad you got to get out on the lake. I finally got my license when we were up north for the funeral, but haven't even gotten a line wet yet. sigh.

    ReplyDelete