Sunday, July 25, 2010

Defend vs. Contend

One of my favorite blogs, The Narrow Way, recently posted this video.  It really struck home with me because not only do I see defensiveness in my children's lives, but in my own.  Ouch.  I am reading a book for review called "The Jesus You Can't Ignore" by John MacArthur, and I'm almost done.  MacArthur builds the case of how and why we should contend for our faith (Jude 1:3) by looking at Jesus' interaction with Pharisees and other religious leaders in his day and even his followers.  Contention for the faith looks much different than defensiveness.  Unfortunately many people do not see this difference, and to avoid conflict in our post-modern culture they do not contend for the faith but they do still get quite defensive about matters in their own personal lives (again I say, ouch).  This video unpacks defensiveness and the root of the sin therein.  Hopefully when I write my review I will be able to convey contention.  (I am taking notes...)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Steph! The video was a great reminder of where I need to be in my life, and also a great bolster to me at a time when I needed it. Thanks!

    I think, as Christians, we often take the view of needing to "mind our own business" when what we need to be doing is speaking God's truth to those around us (even when it's not the easy thing to do). It's what we are commanded to do in Scripture (Matthew 18:15-22). When we stand by and say nothing in an effort to avoid discomfort (our own or others) or perceived confrontations we are doing ourselves and our brothers and sisters no favors.

    Thanks again for the great reminder...

    ReplyDelete