Monday, July 19, 2010

Enough of Jesus

Thousands of screaming fans stand in line for hours just to get a glimpse of their favorite star (ie: famous person).  The star appears, waves, does their thing, and before parting shouts out to the crowd, "I love you all!"  And disappears.  It was so brief, but it was so worth it.

Wasn't it?

What would it feel like to really know that star?  To be part of their closest circle of friends.  To hear the star say "I love you" and really mean it.  To have that person answer the phone when you call.

Of course, that's not going to happen...it's quite impossible.  Or it's impossible for a star to really know and love all his/her fans.

But let's bring that thought down a level from stardom to just a popular person in your town, community, church, or even in your family.  Is there someone you wish knew you better, liked to spend time with you, or loved you?  When I recognize myself feeling these feelings, I call it jealousy.  Mitch dubbed it "social jealousy."  I'll describe it as I have seen it in one of my children--Zeke frequently whines to me:  "Mom, Eden will NEVER play any games with ME."  He wants one-on-one time with Eden, to not have to share her with anyone else.  I don't know where this desire came from, but it sure does break my heart to see his so broken.  How could his sister be so mean??  ;)

I struggle with it, too.  To give you a silly example, suppose Kristin goes out with her "other" friends and I'm not invited (why does she even have other friends anyway???), and I hear about all the fun they had later, I may feel jealous.  LOL.  I feel downright childish at times.  Now, that was a silly example, but perhaps I have other examples that hit home a little more and are more serious.  And what other kinds of evil thoughts does harboring such a jealousy lead me to?  Jealousy is such a selfish, self-centered, provoking sin which causes us to be discontent with the many blessings God has given us.

So, one day last week I sat pondering about heaven.  In trying to draw close to Jesus here on earth, I pondered what it would be like to be face-to-face with the real, live, breathing Jesus in heaven.  I have imagined many times receiving a hug from Jesus and just how oh-so-good that will feel.  But then I imagined the long, long, long line of people in front of me to get up to the throne (after all, isn't He the biggest superstar that has ever been?).  Would heaven really be just a great place to wait in line to get a glimpse--a few seconds--with my Savior--before once again returning to the back of the line to wait?  Immediately following that picture in my mind, I was given a new picture that in heaven there will be enough of Jesus to go around.  I can't explain how--if *I* am imagining walking around heaven all day talking with Jesus, and *you* are imagining the same thing of Jesus spending time with you, and we multiply that times millions, then how is it even possible?  My best friend on Earth can't be my everything.  My husband can't be my everything.  My kids can't be my everything.  My pastor can't be my everything.  Some superstar that never even knows I exist will not be my everything.  But Jesus IS my everything and He WILL BE my everything for all of eternity, and YES, THERE IS ENOUGH OF JESUS TO GO AROUND. 

And WOW, that thought brings me so much peace.

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That's incredible Steph!! So very well put. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you glad He's omnipresent? I truly believe that everyone will be able to hug Him at the same time. If He's able to hear our prayers all at the same time, then I surely can't imagine that He'd not be able to be there for us all at the same time. But we're mortals, and our minds can't fathom that idea!

    You sound like me: I try to imagine what heaven will be like. Just last night I was lying in bed and I just blurted out to Brad, "We won't have to sleep in heaven." His reply was a simple, "Nope." And I said, "So, do you think we'll have enough things to fill our time?"

    Our days here on earth are filled with activities. We hate to be bored, and so we fill our time with games, discussion, television, reading, etc. when we're not working or spending time at church. And I guess subconsciously I just assume heaven will be similar. I guess there's a reason we don't know everything about heaven, but I sure do analyze it all to death! :P

    If you've never read it, the book called "Heaven" by Randy Alcorn is pretty super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jami, I did read "Heaven" and now I am convinced if there's coffee in heaven, then there'll be Pepsi and brownies as well. *wink* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Steph. You know you're the only one that matters. LOL Not really. But I certainly cherish our friendship and the time we are able to spend together on the phone and face-to-face (honestly that time has seemed far too little recently).

    On to the point of your post... I, too, am so glad there is enough of Him to go around.

    (Have you ever seen Bruce Almighty? Give a little comedic example of how much God listens to/spends time with ALL of us every day and how none of us would ever be able to keep up.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh...I know that feeling..sharing a mutual friend!

    I'm a tad bit envious when she talks about hanging out with you, sewing, family get-togethers, etc. I rarely get to physically see her..thank goodness for text messaging and phone calls! At the same time, I'm thankful that she has such fantastic people surrounding her.


    Bruce Almighty..I often imagined that's what it's like..all those prayer requests flooding heaven all at once!

    ReplyDelete