Wednesday, July 28, 2010

German Food

I recently found a restaurant in St. Cloud that claims to serve German food.  Mitch says he found it first, and that he and Patrick talked about it, but nobody told me...so...  When I was on the shop-n-save for our local Christian radio station I saw gift certificates for this restaurant on sale--a $10 certificate for only $6--and I bought some.  We planned to go out to eat last night before Patrick goes home.  As we were getting ready to leave, a large storm rolled through (we were even under a tornado warning), so I decided not to take my camera.  The storm went through quickly and was nearly gone by the time we pulled into the parking lot at Michael's Restaurant on the south-side of St. Cloud.  It's very close to the airport, where we just happened to pick Patrick up exactly 11 months earlier (August 27-July 27)...very fitting.  I regretted not bringing my camera (or at least asking Patrick to bring his) from the moment I stepped in the door.  The place was not very busy, and no one was around at first.  Finally a woman greeted us and asked if we were there to eat.  :)  She walked away quickly calling for "Heinrich." (hine-rick)  Patrick very quietly said, "his name is Heinrich," with the correct pronunciation.  LOL.  From the moment Heinrich walked into the room until we left we were all smiles.  We were wonderfully entertained and cared for.  Heinrich is actually from Austria, and when we introduced Patrick from Germany he said he wouldn't hold it against him.  Heinrich has been in America since 1967.  We ordered for the kids from the kids' menu, which was standard American fare.  I can't remember the names of the dishes we had to spell them correctly, so I will have to ask Patrick.  I thought they were good, but he is the only one who could tell us if it was actually German food or not.  :)  He said it was good. We opted to not eat dessert afterward, but Heinrich came out of the kitchen with a tube of whipping cream and to the boys' delight gave them dollops of cream on their hands to lick off.  It was quite funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment