Saturday, July 24, 2010

Goodnight, Russ

Dear Russ Arndts passed away yesterday.  It was sad news, indeed.

I remember the first time I ever really "met" Russ.  I was in a Sunday school class and we were discussing the topic of absolute truth.  One member of the class raised a hand and said that there are some absolutes that no one can deny--such as 2 + 2 = 4.  I raised my hand immediately and refuted the statement (although I DO believe there are absolute truths, that is not one of them).  In higher level math classes I learned that this is not always true (particularly in an alternative geometry).  It really all depends on your assumptions.  Well, that got a murmur of disbelief from the crowd and I caught Russ's attention. :)  Later I was invited to attend some classes in the evenings discussing Creation vs. Evolution.  I don't think that I ever impressed Russ quite as much as that first meeting, simply because I was busy shaking off the cobwebs and dust that had cluttered up the "academic" side of my brain.  Russ was a Chemistry professor, retired from St. Cloud State University.  But I thoroughly enjoyed the discourse and the breaks from my Mom routine.  In fact, this post, about unpacking Einstein's theory of special relativity, attracts visitors from google and other search engines every single day still as they search for "boy sense" (whatever that is supposed to be).  Even more recently, while I was recovering from surgery, Russ and his wife, Betty, brought our family meals and food on two occasions.  What an outpouring of generosity on our family is this, that the elderly care for the young, still!  I smile to think that now Russ finally has all the facts and information he needs surrounding Geocentricity, Relativity, and the Big Bang

Goodnight, Russ, until we meet again!

<a href="http://matthewsmith.bandcamp.com/album/goodnight">Goodnight by Matthew Smith</a>

I journey forth rejoicing
From this dark vale of tears,
To heavenly joy and freedom,
From earthly bonds and fears;
Where Christ our Lord shall gather
All His redeemed again,
His kingdom to inherit.
Goodnight, goodnight till then!
Why thus so sadly weeping,
Beloved ones of my heart?
The Lord is good and gracious,
Though now He bids us part.
Oft have we met in gladness.
And we shall meet again,
All sorrow left behind us.
Goodnight, goodnight till then!
I go to see His glory,
Whom we have loved below:
I go, the blessed angels,
The holy saints to know.
Our lovely ones departed,
I go to find again,
And wait for you to join us.
Goodnight, goodnight till then!
I hear the Saviour calling,
The joyful hour has come:
The angel guards are ready
To guide me to our home,
Where Christ our Lord shall gather
All His redeemed again,
His kingdom to inherit.
Goodnight, goodnight till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment