Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Book Review: No Girls Allowed

No Girls Allowed Devotions for Boys by Jayce O'Neal is a delightful new devotion book for boys ages 8-12.  Each devotion is 4 pages long.  The first two pages include a short story, prayer, and cartoon.  Each story typically describes situations that are familiar to boys and borrows lessons from characters boys are familiar with (ie: superheroes, athletic stars, popular movie characters, etc.).  The third page features a pencil activity (ie: word search, secret code, etc) that is age-appropriate and draws from the lesson.  These types of activities especially appeal to this age group.  The last page for each devotion includes a list of "Things to Do", a list of "Things to Remember", and a list of quotations--nuggets of wisdom--from famous people.

The devotions are well planned and captivating.  The information is easy to digest and the lessons are not only solid, but they are lessons that directly apply to what my boys in this age range are dealing with at this stage of life.  There is plenty to learn here!  Jayce O'Neal certainly knows boys well and what gets their attention.  Each devotion follows through completely from insight to action, and that is commendable.

There are 60 devotions, but there is no set plan on how often a devotion should be read (every day, one a week, etc).  This leaves the planning up to you.  And that is an important point--you (as the parent/grandparent/caregiver) should do some planning.  I do not expect to hand this book to my 9-year-old and have him complete all the activities at his own pace.  It is not a realistic expectation.  Nor do I need to sit by his side and complete each devotion with him.  But I can help him set goals, and check in with him to see how it is coming, and to see what he is learning.  Personally, I feel I would enjoy discussing the nuggets of wisdom presented at the end of each lesson (explaining who Winston Churchill is, for example), and encouraging him to choose a couple of things to do from the list.

I highly recommend this book for the young boys in your life!  I know I have a few boys here at my house that will get good use from it.  ;)  Also, if you follow the link above to amazon.com, you can read the first couple of devotions to see for yourself.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.  I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

1 comment:

  1. While I'm in no hurry for my boys to grow up..I almost wish they were old enough for it! Looks like a great book!

    ReplyDelete