Friday, September 24, 2010

What Our Days Look Like Now

For several years now, I have enjoyed being able to sleep in until 7 a.m.  Even when some daycare children arrive at 6 a.m., Mitch gets up to let them in and I stay warm in bed.  Now Mitch needs to be out the door at 7 a.m.  While I *could* technically still sleep in until almost 7, it makes sooooo much more sense for me to get up at 6 a.m.  It is nice to shower once in a while! 

Usually some of the kids are doing their schoolwork before 7 a.m.  Yesterday even Zeke was asking to do his work early...so we got started before breakfast!  Breakfast is between 7 and 8 a.m.  Caleb is breakfast helper.  That means he helps prepare and serve breakfast, and he has to do the dishes afterward.  He usually takes more time than necessary to do the dishes.  2 daycare kids get on the bus at 8:20ish to go to school.  Then we are in a holding pattern.  The preschoolers play and have fun and the oldest 3 kids work on their schoolwork.  At 10 a.m. we have a snack break.  Usually by this time some of the kids are done with their schoolwork.  This means that they typically begin asking me if they can have "screen time".  I try to hold off on it as long as possible. 

Sometime after 11 Micah begins working on lunch with my help.  Lunch is at 12, Micah helps serve and cleans up afterward.  By 1:30 I have three 1-year olds and one 2-year old down for a 2-hour nap.  Sometimes, even Malachi will go down for a nap (if I will lay down with him).  At this point--ahhhhhh, blissful peace and quiet--I get school done with Zeke and Josh if we haven't done it already. 

At 3:30 kids start going home.  The afternoon usually moves pretty fast, but I am usually pretty tired by that time of day.  It is a difficult time for me--and always good for me to not have anything important planned.  Some days I have no trouble moving to get supper ready, and other days I struggle to get motivated.  By the time supper is finished and cleaned up, there is almost no time left for anything else.  I often think I would like to watch a movie in the evenings, but there is no time.  The kids head to bed at 8 p.m. and I've been going soon after 9 most nights.

I think the most difficult thing ahead in our schedules now is things like doctor appointments.  Mitch most likely won't be home before 4:15-4:30 p.m., so I will have to get a sub.  Pregnancy typically means a once-per-month appointment.  Plus there are regular appointments for children too.  So I have some planning ahead to do. 

Speaking of doctor appointments, I had my first on Tuesday morning.  Stepping on the scale was the worst part.  It is safe to say that I gained any weight that I had lost due to my overactive blood-thirsty spleen squishing my stomach.  :)  I was quite surprised to see the number that I saw on the scale!  Let's just say that for being only 10 weeks pregnant, this is the FIRST time I have been that weight this early in a pregnancy.  Not that it's terrible or anything, but I KNOW what comes next and how I typically gain weight as I go along!  Yeah, my normally high metabolism must be at a complete stand-still.  ;)  We tried to hear the baby's heartbeat, but we couldn't find it.  I was a tad discouraged because when I was pg with Eden (12 years ago exactly), we heard her heartbeat at only 9 weeks pg.  It will be ok, though.  I also gave vials and vials of blood and that left me feeling a little woozy later in the afternoon.  If I didn't already say it before, I will say that my LMP (last menstrual period) is exactly the same day as it was when I was pg with Eden.  That's kind of neat for me.  My "official" estimated due date is April 18.  The baby is now considered a "fetus" instead of an embryo, and it has ALL of its body parts...now all it has to do is grow.  And it is definitely growing.  It should be close to the size of my thumb (or roughly 1.5 inches).  Cool!! 

You haven't complained yet, but I know there are no pictures AGAIN.  I will work on that.  I promise.  The weather has been less than cooperative and I haven't been in the mood.  But I will work on that!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so what curriculum are you using? Just wondering! :) I am using k-12 for our state and it is extremely a lot of work. We are required to do 5 hours a day of school work with the state program. We work all day long on schooling and it is just for 1 child! I know that since he is a new homeschooler that he will learn to work independently vary soon, but I feel like I am sitting with him 24/7 and noting else but school is getting done all day. so I am looking for a curriculum that is a little less work then the k-12. Thanks Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you're doing it! I'll pray for you that the Lord's mercies will be new every morning and just enough to get you through each day. Sounds like this will be a tough pregnancy. Hopefully you'll be getting your second wind in a few weeks. I know I always get more energy around 14 weeks or so. Keep up the good work!

    Celee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ladies!

    Karrie, we are using Switched-On Schoolhouse by Alpha Omega Publishers for our oldest 3 children. It has been a GREAT fit for us because my kids all love the computers. Planning is easy for me and I have a lot of control as far as adding or deleting lessons, determining what days we do school, overriding grades if I need to (especially in the case of spelling/wording errors), and so on. On the other hand I had a different friend pick up SOS for her kids and she ended up returning it for a refund during the trial period because her kids hated it--so it really depends on personality traits. SOS has a yahoo support group that could answer questions for you (and you should be able to find someone else from your state there): SOShomeschool.

    For my youngest 2 children I use A Beka. All of my children did A Beka for my first 3 years of homeschooling, and it got to be too much work very quickly. SOS starts in 3rd grade, so this seems to be a very good combination for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon, Steph - pictures please! (It is amazing how much more enjoyable your posts are now that we have better-than-$5-dialup!)

    We talked about this yesterday: It is SO TRUE about how what works for one might not work for another. Anna does well with SOS, and Ben struggles to do just one subject.

    ReplyDelete