Saturday, October 30, 2010

Brrrr....

Brrrr...It's cold here!  We woke up to a nice hard frost yesterday morning and temps were hovering at 25 degrees Fahrenheit.  The kids are certain that snow is soon to follow!  I don't think so though--the next 10 days look sunny.  While the temps may fall below freezing overnight, during the days they will reach close to 50.  I'll be dreaming of 70.  :)  We were out a couple nights ago and the sun was setting--it was already quite dark--at 6:40 p.m.  In another week our time will change back an hour, which means it will be getting dark at 5:30 p.m.  I am trying to be thankful, but I have to admit that I find it hard to enjoy these short days.  December 22nd is traditionally the shortest day of the year, and then the days start getting longer again, but I still can't help but wish that it was spring already.  Sigh...it will come!  We had several days of rain here, so I'm glad for the sunny weather coming up.

This week has been a little better with nothing major broken, but I have accomplished very little as I've tried to have my eyes on kids 24/7.  I really need to relax...but it seems impossible to do.  My house is a disaster and I'm mildly jealous of friends who talk about deep cleaning their homes getting ready for fall.  I'm lucky the grill cover is on the grill.  There is so much to do.  I am using my Saturday to tackle some of the major projects.  So far I have taken all of Josh's size 4 clothing out of the closet and replaced it with size 5's (even though he will drown in them).  I am throwing away any pants with holes in the knees.  Ahhhh...that feels good!  Would you believe that when I took out his clothes I only found a couple t-shirts?  Now, where in the world have all his t-shirts gone???  I find it very odd and very concerning.

Eden and Caleb are at a KidSing event today at St. Cloud State University, but sponsored by the St. John's Boys Choir (from St. John's University).  I hope they are having fun and learning a little more about "real" choir.  I feel badly that I haven't yet taught them to read music.  That is moving up on my priority list.

Micah, Zeke, and Josh are at Papa's house hanging out.  I hope they're being good.  :)  Malachi is playing outside while Mitch is messing around in the garage.  Tirzah would love to be with them, but she's shadowing me instead as I continue to work on laundry and procrastinate on paperwork.  :o/

Also moving up on my priority list...I have recently come to realize that Malachi never received a crocheted blanket from me as a baby.  How did I miss that???  So I want to make him a blanket.  I am also dreaming about scrapbooking again, but I'm not sure if I'll manage it.  Malachi and Tirzah don't have baby books yet, and I'd really like to get them done at least up to 1 year for both of them.

Moving down on my priority list is diapers.  I push that one down all the time.  It is soooo hard for me.  It's hard for me to find the time, and it's hard for me to find the motivation.  I love the diapers that I make.  I worked hard for many years to develop the best patterns and systems, to locate the best fabrics and notions, and to share what I have learned with others.  When I look around me at the demands of my family, I just want to quit with the diapers altogether.  It's way too hard, and it seems to be going nowhere that will benefit our family.  When I look in my sewing room, quitting seems impossible.  And a waste.  So I wait patiently and pray.  God will show me when the time is right what I should do.  I am trying to be content with what I have and with the time that I have been given.  I hope that some day I may use it to bring Him glory!  In the meantime, I pray He gives me the strength and the courage to face the things I fear or dread.  And I am thankful for the other hobbies I am still able to pursue at this time.

Please continue to pray for our family.  It seems that the enemy, that once most beautiful angel now the leader of Hell's throng, seems to attack us at every turn.  As if fighting our own flesh weren't hard enough!

2 comments:

  1. (hugs) and prayers, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs from me too. Heidi

    ReplyDelete