Thursday, October 07, 2010

Impatience

I have some thoughts that have been swirling around in my head the past couple days that I simply must get out.  And I have some pictures that aren't very good, and completely unrelated to the topic, but are better than nothing.  Unless, of course, you want to say that I'm teaching you patience to wait for better pictures.  :)

Oh how many times have I prayed, "Lord, please fix this right now!"  Or even worse, "I need patience, and I need it NOW!"  Who am I to demand that the God of the universe, the Creator of all things, Who made me and called me with a purpose, should put aside His plans and meet my demands?  Why isn't it enough for me to just trust that He is working in my heart to bring about sanctification?  Why can't I trust that He is likewise working in my children's hearts?

I remember in college it seemed that Mitch would mercilessly taunt me with the saying, "Patience is a virtue."  We would laugh, but I also knew what he was getting at.  I'm not a very patient person.  I don't think that in 14 years I have changed very much.  I go about my days, barking out orders, expecting them to be obeyed immediately (and likewise expecting that I will not have to repeat myself--ha!).  In my head I work out the most efficient ways to do a task, and I insist that the children do it "my way" because my way is the best and/or fastest way.  Impatience.  I beg, plead, threaten, bribe, demand that the children stop wrestling, stop fighting, stop being mean, stop talking "that" way.  Oh why can't they just get it?!  They love God, and I know they do, so why can't they just be good already?  RIGHT NOW!!  Impatience.

The problem is not that patience is some virtue I happen to be lacking in.  The problem is that sin is so deep.  It is a disease, it is a way of life.  I was conceived in sin, born in sin, and in bondage to sin until my Savior released me.  Now I am free.  FREE!  But that does not mean that I do not sin.  It does not mean that my children will not sin.  Just like Pilgrim on his journey to the Celestial City, there are many traps to fall into along the way.  Today I need to focus on extending a good measure of patience to my children.  And trust that God is working in us to bring to completion that which He started.  (Philippians 1:6).  I'm thankful that His mercies are new every morning!  (Lamentations 3:22-23)



 {The garden has come to an end.  I am sad to see summer slipping away so quickly.  The frost this weekend finally stopped the cherry tomatoes from blooming.  There are a few tomatoes there that are ripe, and probably edible in spite of the frost, but we haven't rescued them yet.}

 {T-r-o-u-b-l-e}


 {These were actually from the beginning of August...did I ever post them?  I thought they were too cute, so I apologize if it's a double post.  Tirzah loves the diabolos...she's just too short!}

{It looks like she just might get it!}

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and I needed to read this today. I am struggling with a lack of patience and related to that a lack of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Trouble looks like Mitch at that age, with your smile!

    ReplyDelete