Friday, October 01, 2010

What is Kathi up to?

I realize my blog has been rather un-balanced lately.  At least it's called "Steph's Sound Off" and I don't claim to be fair and balanced.  ;)  But today I thought I should give a little mini-update on our exchange student, Kathi.

Kathi seems like she is really enjoying herself.  She has settled into a very busy school routine.  She has made friends at church and at school.  During her school day she is taking both band and choir, so she does not get a study period.  Since she loves music, I totally understand why she made that choice.  On the other hand, it means that she has to do a lot of studying at home.  So between school, volleyball, and studying, we never see her!  Then she has small group, youth group, and she has been going to a college Bible study with a very sweet girl here involved with Campus Crusade for Christ.  This weekend is a post-arrival orientation for YFU on Saturday and I think she is looking forward to hanging out with other exchange students and sharing their experiences.  I have a pang of guilt that we have not done anything besides school and church...I have seen updates and pictures on facebook of fun things that other students have been up to, so that's a little hard for me that we haven't been able to do much.  We are just trying to survive the chaos of each and every "normal" day around here!

I have been obviously very preoccupied with the busy-ness of our new schedule, so much so that it's hard to keep my head above water some days.  But when I can, I watch Kathi interact with the kids and I sit an analyze how it is developing and unfolding.  Her experience is quite different than Patrick's, I believe.  Just for a small example--one of our children has been stealing candy from Kathi (we have since found out which child).  This is really sad and hard to deal with as a parent on many levels.  Patrick certainly learned quickly that he had to keep his things out of reach of the children (like when one child put some scratches into his nice computer mouse)...but he also didn't have to share his room.  It was fairly easy to keep kids out of there.  Since Kathi shares a room, this makes it a little more difficult for her privacy.  Ah, but having siblings is a good experience overall I think.  She's just getting a crash-course in it.

Why haven't I changed my banner yet??  I have heard this question a few times and I beg for patience.  I will say in my defense--we had a family picture up without Patrick OR Tirzah until October 2009.  Tirzah arrived in April, and Patrick arrived in August.  So there.  I'm waiting for a "good" one.  And I haven't been taking many pictures.  I traditionally take the kids' "school" pictures, and a fall family picture, when the leaves begin to change.  Now that October is here, I'm sure we will do this very soon.  In fact, maybe we can do it on Saturday evening!  The weather is promising to be nice.  I'm trying to decide if my banner will end up being a family pic (I really like those), or if I'll try to do something a little more creative (I have thought about having individual pictures).  We'll see...

Yes, I have not taken any new pictures.  I know.  I will do it, I promise.  My camera is screaming at me behind my back as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment