Monday, November 22, 2010

Book Review: Dragons of the Valley

I just finished reading "Dragons of the Valley" by Donita K. Paul.  This is the first book I've ever read by Paul and it was truly enjoyable!  I picked this book because it is a Christian Fantasy Fiction, and I thought it was time I chose something fun that I could pass on to the kids.  At least I hoped I could pass it on to the kids.  I wasn't disappointed.

The book is set in the fictional land of Chiril on a different planet.  The people of Chiril are peace-loving, however they have (for the most part) no knowledge of the Creator.  War threatens their peaceful country and the struggles that the heroes face to embrace the call to defend their country are just as important as the struggles they face to trust and embrace their Creator (given the name 'Wulder').  As we discover the characters in the story, we discover Wulder along with them.

This is book 2 in a new series.  It follows on the heels of The Vanishing Sculptor, which I hope to purchase for my kids to read first (so they don't get lost trying to figure out the story). The book cover has a tagline at the top that says "A Fantastic Journey of Discovery for All Ages."  I have to agree.  I have been struggling to find ideas for encouraging Micah, Eden, and Caleb to practice reading aloud.  Knowing their love for all things fantasy (magic, dragons, new creatures, etc), I know they will be easily drawn into this series.  What I love so much about it, is how much it reveals about our Creator.  Paul does an excellent job of revealing the attributes of God through the pages of this fiction book.  I explored all over again, through the eyes of characters who were discovering Him for the first time, God's faithfulness, His sovereignty, His omniscience, His omnipresence, His love, and His concern.  Paul didn't shy away from writing her story with the purpose of revealing God to her readers.  This wasn't just an add-on part of the story, it IS the story, and that's what makes it so beautiful!

I highly recommend this book for preteens and up.

I received a free copy of the book from the publisher, Waterbrook Multnomah, for review.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My comments and thoughts express my own opinions.

Rank my review:

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog because your review popped up in Google Alerts for Christian Fantasy. :)

    If you enjoyed Dragons of the Valley, I would definitely recommend you pick up the rest of Donita's books. More Christian fantasy titles are being released these days, especially YA. I'm excited about this trend (and hope it escalates) in part because I think fantasy is an amazing venue for expressing spiritual truths.

    ReplyDelete