Tuesday, December 07, 2010

21 Weeks pregnant and other updates

Well, let's see where to start.  Our days have been busy and "normal".

We have started decorating for Christmas.  We have thrown around a few ideas, and finally decided to put a tree on top of the entryway closet, out of reach from the little ones.  Last night when Mitch got home from work, he quickly decided that he wasn't sure he liked this plan.  Something about envisioning a ball hitting the tree and the tree dropping 8 feet to the floor below???  That would happen at our house???  Good thinking.

I wasn't home when Mitch got home from work.  Last week Tirzah, Malachi, and Josh were sick with a fever/runny nose virus.  Tirzah had a fever on Tuesday, then again on Friday.  Sunday evening she was CRABBY.  To the point that she was almost inconsolable.  I decided to take her to the express care clinic on Monday evening to have her ears checked.  They were fine.  But then (even though I didn't want to) the doctor sent her to the lab for a strep test and a white blood count.  Negative and normal.  For the record, out of 7 kids and 13 years, none of my kids have EVER had strep and the only time I've had strep in my adult life was this year AFTER my spleen was removed.  So there.  I wish doctors would listen to me.  And test us to see what kind of remarkable gene we have that makes us immune to strep!  LOL  So anyway...we were at the clinic until after 8 pm.  By the time we got home, Mitch had the living room disassembled and nearly reassembled.  I was surprised!  I jumped in and helped where I could.  We are making room for a tree to fit on the floor.  We worked until past 10 pm, when I said ok...we have to go to bed.  We still didn't go to bed until after 11 pm.

Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for AdventWe started celebrating Advent a week late.   Last week was just way too busy.  I don't think we were ready yet.  This year we are reading Tabitha's Travels.  We love these books. We're reading 2 at a time to get caught up.  I haven't made an advent wreath yet, but I have started.  I only need to buy the candles.  I found the wreath and some decorations for it at Michael's on sale...this creative stuff is sooooo hard for me.  I nearly bought a completed wreath on amazon.com just to avoid it.  :)  But the wreath I bought only cost $5 and it looks beautiful.  Just need to get those candles.
 {Snuggling up while Dad reads.}


Mitch found a new one that is for Easter and preordered it for us, called Amon's Adventure.  That will be fun!

Yesterday was St. Nick's Day.  The kids asked us all day if we were going to have stockings (I was kind of frustrated that they were asking).  In America children usually have their stockings on Christmas morning, along with other presents.  In Germany children celebrate St. Nick's Day and leave out a shoe.  We thought that we should combine these and have our stockings on St. Nick's Day rather than Christmas Day.  Ideally we would have had them up in the morning when the kids awoke.  We just weren't able to get it done in time, but we hung them last night before bed.  Just now Zeke came to me and said, "Mom, there is stuff in the stockings."  I shook my head and said, "No, there's not."  He is trying to convince me that yes, there is and he can feel it...I told him it was a magic trick.  ;)  I think that Caleb and Micah have already had a peek.  I told Mitch let's leave them hanging up all day and see how long THAT lasts.  Yeah, right.  Hahahahaha....

I saw the doctor for my regular visit yesterday, at 21 weeks pg.  I gained almost 10 pounds in 4.5 weeks--yikes!!  I told the nurse not to look as I covered the scale.  That was a bit of a surprise to me.  But I guess I don't really care at this point.  I have decided that I'm going to gain a full 40 lbs this time and I hope it's not more than that.  Ufda.  Everything looks great with baby and with me...heartbeat was between 138-143.  I'm still feeling pretty darn good.

When I got home from the doctor I had a new book to review waiting here.  It is Randy Alcorn's newest book, "If God Is Good."  I was a little surprised to see the thickness of it...it's 475 pages long!!!  This is not going to be a quick, easy read like Max Lucado's book is.  I'll have my work cut out for me.  Besides that, there are two other books coming in the mail to me.  Whew!

When I was at Michael's the other day buying stuff for an advent wreath, I also picked up yarn to make our new baby boy a blanket.  I am loving blues and browns.  I had already decided long ago if it was a boy, his blanket would be blue.  I also got some cotton yarn to make hats and booties.  He will be so cute!



With a huge book calling me and the crochet/knit projects calling me, I now feel like I heaped a little too much on my plate.  I also would like to do some scrapbooking.  But I am trying hard to take it one day at a time and not put any deadlines or pressure on myself.  I have a good month to read Randy Alcorn's book, and several months to finish the baby's blanket.  It is important for me to prioritize so that I can get the important things done.

In the midst of all this, we are plugging away at school.  Josh never ceases to amaze me with how quickly he learns.  Zeke is very active.  I actually ordered an indoor trampoline (Pure Fun Trampoline) to help him burn off energy.  I found it on Amazon for only $34.99, but it will take about 6 weeks to get here.  Just in time for the frigid cold of January to trap us inside and make us need a way to stay active indoors.

Well...my blogging time is well up.  I just heard the kids open their stockings (under Mitch's supervision).  They are so excited about all the candy.  :)

3 comments:

  1. So, with all the complaining I've done about weight... and the fact that at one point I gained 12 lbs in 5 weeks... I just realized while reading this that I'm only up 19 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Not bad, huh? Now if I can lose that + another 20 I'll be really happy! ")

    Maybe I'll be able to make it over there in a week or two to see your tree. I'm sick of being stuck at home waiting for baby!!

    Maybe I need to start a couple more crochet projects... think that'll make the baby come faster?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asher would be cute name for the new little one. Saw it in Genesis last night at bible study.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought the same book! I was wondering if it was alright for little people, so now I feel better about it. Hopefully we'll start soon, and yup, we'll have to read 2 or 3 each day to catch up too :)

    ReplyDelete