Thursday, December 02, 2010

Kitchen Surprises

Ok...remember this:


Here's what we did:

We replaced our major appliances!!

 {New fridge-over-freezer.  I'm loving this style.  Mitch can actually see what we have in the fridge.  :)  I won't have to stoop over in late pregnancy to reach the items I use most often.}

Mitch decorated it for us:
We would have gone for a black fridge.  He originally bought white, then even went back and tried to change the order to black, but they were all sold out.  Since our appliances were mixed in color before, it wasn't a big deal to me.  Besides, the fridge is separated from the other appliances too.

 {New Dishwasher we installed ourselves.  The kids wanted to help...but too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth they say.}
{Mitch was so handy at getting the new dishwasher installed!  He was very kind and let me "help" in whatever way I could.}
Our old dishwasher has not worked for years.  It was pretty interesting pulling it out.  We had a few mishaps, but it was fun and we laughed at ourselves.  Our current system of washing dishes is to wash them, then lay them on the counter to dry.  We wash dishes after every meal.  See the nice pile we have from supper that we are hoping to load into the new dishwasher?  The new dishwasher even has a disposal in it, so we don't *really* have to pre-rinse our dishes before we load it up, but we still are just to help keep it running smoothly.


I also got a new convection oven.  They picked it up last Tuesday, just in time for Thanksgiving.  It cooks SO much faster than my old stove--even on the top burners.  We have burned pancakes, eggs, bacon, ground beef, and who knows what else trying to figure this out.  My gravy cooks much faster now, too.  Our last stove was not only a pain in the neck to clean (the white part on top where pans would boil over), but the oven took more than 20 minutes to preheat and then the front was so hot that I always worried it would burn the babies.  We were pretty good at keeping them away, so it was never an issue thankfully.   I can't tell you how much I appreciate the new stove and how quickly it cooks.  It's fantastic!


Our kitchen counter is SO much nicer without the dishes drying on it (although, clean dishes stacked up are always nicer than dirty dishes).

The fridge was the easiest thing to install.  Or it should have been.  We had it delivered.  We asked them to put our old fridge out in the garage so we can still use it.  They plugged it in and then left.  Within a few hours we noticed that the fridge was getting warmer, not colder.  I gave it the benefit of the doubt and figured it would be better by morning.  By morning my ice that had previously been frozen was now melted.  The kids helped me move everything into the garage fridge.  A daycare parent works with appliances and told me we should not have plugged in the fridge for 24 hours.  He suggested I unplug it and try it again in a couple hours.  In the meantime I called Sears Home Repair to schedule a technician to come by.  (This was yesterday, Dec. 1st) The lady on the phone said, "We could have someone out there on December 11th."  I burst into tears.  I said, "Are you serious?  I don't have a fridge!"  Now, I DO have a fridge in the garage, but with the temperatures being well below freezing, the food that we put out there has the potential to freeze (eggs, veggies, fruit, etc, are sensitive and shouldn't be frozen).  I asked if she couldn't find someone sooner.  She said, "Well we could have someone come out tomorrow."  I thought to myself, ya think?  She said that someone would be calling to confirm the repair, so to make sure I answered the call.  About 5:30 p.m. last night someone called and said there was a technician "in our area" looking for more work to do...could he come by?  I wanted to jump through the phone, YES!!  Skipping ahead to the answer of why my brand new fridge wasn't working:  it had no refrigerant in it at all.  It was supposed to be charged in the factory, and it was somehow missed.  The guy loaded it up with a cool upgraded filter (so leaks can easily be found by UV light) and filled it with refrigerant.  I am happy to report that when I woke up this morning my fridge was in the "safe zone" on my little thermometer, and today we will move all the groceries for the 3rd time.  :)  So much for the fridge being the "easiest".  LOL 

All in all, I am thankful for my new appliances.  Overjoyed!  It was a big surprise from Mitch.  He went shopping without me and I didn't even know what he was shopping for.  He averaged a savings of 46% on everything because he scored some great deals.  He is much more observant than I am, and had been listening to what I would want in new appliances.  So he balanced features with savings to get as many features I wanted as possible, yet still in a great price range.  Yay! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! ;-) Looks great! That is the type of fridge I really want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you- now you're ready for all the cooking and baking of the season!

    Celee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I am so happy for you!!!! Hugs, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take it the fridge surprise wasn't exactly the surprise you were looking for? :-(

    ReplyDelete