Thursday, January 27, 2011

28 Weeks Pregnant


Somebody super-sized me!!  :)

I am officially in the 3rd trimester.  It's the final stretch.  Unfortunately, it's just as long as the first stretch, which was long.  Still, when I post every two weeks like this, it seems like the weeks are zipping by, doesn't it??  Before I know it he will be here and be growing all too fast.  :)

I was reading one of those pregnancy tracker things (they are a dime a dozen on the internet these days...no longer any need for the "What to Expect" books!) and it said that baby is most active between 24 to 28 weeks.  WOW has that ever been true!  I read another one recently that said to expect a larger weight gain around 28 weeks.  Let's hope that one is NOT true.  I already had my "growth spurt" and I'm done with that stuff.  :)  At 24 weeks I was already up 30 lbs.  At 27.5 weeks I had thankfully only gained an additional 3.5 lbs.  I'd like to keep it between 1/2 and 1 pound per week from here on out.  That will still leave me weighing more than I ever have in my life.  And boy do I feel it! 

{We are considering purchasing a used treadmill...lol.}

Since I have been using My Fitness Pal, I have been able to see where my diet is much more out of balance than I ever cared to admit.  I am WAY over in refined sugars and that really just bugs me.  I continue to struggle with a craving and desire to consume whatever, whenever I want.  Someone kindly told me yesterday, "You look good, though."  I appreciate that comment and it does help my self esteem.  However my reply was, "That's a part of the problem--I look good, I feel ok, so I have less guilt when I reach for a candy bar.  I think that it will be ok if I have it."  And it IS ok to have a candy bar or a piece of cake or a cup of ice cream...but in moderation...and I have not been moderating myself as well this pregnancy as I have at other times in my life.  Why the change?  I don't know, but I am fighting to wrestle it back down to something much more appropriate.

I have been able to increase my water intake.  But I really should cut out fluids after 6 pm.  Last night I went potty when I brushed my teeth around 9:30, then again at 10:30, then again at 11 pm, then again at 12ish, and one MORE time in the middle of the night.  I was like "GOOD GRIEF KID STAY OFF MY BLADDER!!"   It was like every time I turned over he took it as a cue to stretch and kick.  They also said that the baby would be very active at bedtime.  They were right.  I'm hoping this isn't a continuing trend after birth.

I can't tell what position the baby is in on my own.  I have never been able to distinguish between body parts.  But I'm hoping and praying that he decides head-down is the most comfy spot to be in.  I am on week 4 of the Hypnobabies Home Study Course, taking it a couple weeks at a time since I started early.  I love it so far.  Mitch practiced using the "relax" cue a couple nights ago when I had some bad leg cramps.  They caught me off guard at a time when it was difficult to relax.  After unsuccessfully trying to help myself, I told Mitch to put his hand on my shoulder and tell me to relax.  Because I have been listening to the tracks that go along with this cue, instructing my sub-conscious to respond a certain way, it worked--my body instantly released the endorphins needed to release the cramping in my leg muscles.  Whew--what a relief!!

I was feeling pretty tired the past couple weeks, but this week has been better.  Perhaps it was low hemoglobin or the virus the kids had or a combination of both.  I was certainly not looking forward to the prospect of spending the next 10-12 weeks on that downward slope of fatigue.  I know it will come, but it started way too early.  I would be comatose by the time April rolled around!  Bottom line is I'm feeling a little more normal this week.  It is still hard to bend over (and will get harder).  With lots of kids, there is a lot of stuff on the floor that requires reaching to.  I try to squat more often than bend, but that takes longer.  :)  Going up the stairs once feels like I went up them five times, and that's not likely to get much better.  It goes with the territory.  I'm getting the kids to help me as much as possible--carry laundry up the stairs, clean up the floor, get things from the crawl space, etc.  Even Tirzah likes to help me switch the laundry over.  :)

Last Saturday Eden helped me get the tubs of clothing out of the crawl space and organize things.  We put away clothes that were too small or that friends have given us to save until someone is in that size.  When people call to ask me if I need something, my new mantra is "I am not turning away clothes!"  I know that other large families have different ways of dealing with this, but as long as I have space to store my tubs, I'm happy to have the clothes.  I got out my baby boy clothes too and took an inventory.  I'm hoping there's a tub missing somewhere, because I was certainly expecting to find more than I did.  On my garage sale shopping list are boys size 3-6 mo summer items.  Apparently the last 3 boys wore nothing but sleepers when they were in size 3-6 mo, because that's about all I have.  ;)  Of course, they were also that size during the fall/winter not during the summer.

Ok, I need to get moving.  It is 9:30 a.m. and Caleb has not done his breakfast dishes yet.  If Daddy were home...he would be in trouble.  I wish I were keeping up and writing every day.  I guess I have to write when the inspiration hits me!  I definitely need to take more pictures.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment