Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Water Broke at 6:30 a.m., 12 years ago

:)  I hope I didn't "get ya" too bad there!

I know I've shared this story before, but I can't help but share it again. 12 years ago today I was having a dream that I was bending over cleaning the bathroom floor around the toilet.  I dreamed I started peeing and couldn't stop.  Quickly waking up, I realized my water had broken.  Instead of doing the smart thing and just jumping out of bed, I yelled for Mitch to get some towels.  He came back with one and I said, "That's not going to do it!"  I don't know how long I laid there before I realized I could move and the baby wouldn't just fall out of me.  (After all, it was only my second child...and with my first labor happened VERY quickly after they broke my water, so I didn't really know what to expect).  Labor did not start.  But we hurriedly got our things together, got a babysitter for Micah and arranged for Papa to pick him up as soon as possible.  I called a friend who was going to meet us at the hospital.  I might have taken a shower.  We pretty much rushed to get out the door.  As we drove past Lake Waconia, I noted that the lake still had ice on it.  We got settled into the hospital, then we sat and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Labor still did not start--well, at least not active labor.  I was about 4 cm dilated when I went in, and progressed to 6 cm on my own.  Pitocin was added a bit later to augment labor.  I took a half dose of stadol and in a couple hours took another 1/2 dose.  At 9 cm I began hyperventilating (really should have gotten the epidural, but a nurse talked me OUT of it!!).  The doctor on call came to my aid, helped with breathing, and gave me a para-cervical block.  This caused the baby's heart rate to plummet (of course!), and a nurse got in my face and told me I had to push.  I didn't really want to be told what I *had* to do at that point, and let me tell you, it hurt too much to push.  So I didn't.  :)  Thankfully Eden was just fine and was born after only 15 min of pushing, at 6:41 pm.  I was exhausted.  My friend held Eden and comforted her while I napped. 

Two days later when we brought our baby girl home from the hospital it was very warm outside--nearing 70 F, and the ice was gone from the lake.  Two days after that we surprised family by showing up at Grandma Theis's for Easter Dinner WITH a baby!  Eden had a little jaundice, but her doctor decided she didn't need to be on a bili-light.

The next 12 years are a blur.  Only 6 more years to go until our girl is an "adult."  She is 2/3 grown!!  I can't believe it.  I wish I could share all about her.

At 12 years old, Eden
~loves horses
~loves to read
~enjoys dressing up, looking good, painting fingernails
~likes listening to music
~enjoys "girly" movies
~thinks orange and blue are the best color combinations ever
~chose chili for her birthday meal and carrot cake for dessert
~would rather play Nintendo DS than any other screen time
~enjoys walking/running on the treadmill and is keeping track of her miles
~says Bible is her favorite subject in school
~is also good at language and math
~had hamburger helper as her second choice of meal for supper (yeah...I know...)
~makes friends easily
~enjoys special time with Mom and Dad, especially reading the "Preparing your Daughter for Every Woman's Battle" book with Mom at night
~is good at putting Tirzah to sleep at naptime and nighttime
~loves to shop for just about ANYthing

We love you Eden!

Pics to follow...

3 comments:

  1. Well, the title would have been better if it just said, "My water broke at 6:30 a.m..." and the first line of the post could have been "But, that was 12 years ago". ;)

    Happy Birthday, Eden!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't realize how much like Eden I am: (1)I love to read, (2)I like listening to music (in fact, I'm listening to some David Archuleta RIGHT NOW), (3)I enjoy "girly" movies, (4)I enjoy painting fingernails (I don't care if they're mine), (5)I would rather play Nintendo DS than any other screen (except maybe using the internet), (6)I enjoy walking (when it's outside. I also enjoy it more when Eden is with me), (7)Bible is my fvorite subject in school (I prefer learning the stuff in Revelation to anything else), (8)I'm also good at languag and math, (9)I (sometimes) enjoy special time with Mom and Dad (especially when it's going to a play or a movie), and (10)I like to shop for just about anything (except groceries).

    ReplyDelete