Monday, May 16, 2011

Book Review: Lead. Serve. Love.

When you were a kid, did you take any medicine that you really loved the flavor of?  I did.  :)  It was fun to take medicine that tasted good and that I knew was going to help me feel better.

Lead. Serve. Love.  100 Three-Word Ways to Be Like Jesus, by Gregory E. Lang, is like good medicine.  It tastes good going down, and it makes you feel better too.

This is a gift book that features short devotionals.  On every-other page is a paragraph or two with a lesson of application.  On the facing page is a list of scripture verses that apply.  The focus of each devotional is to bring encouragement and practical ways to lead, serve, and love as Jesus does.  For example, lesson number 1 says, "Smile at everyone."  This one was kind of easy for me.  When I go out, I always wear a smile.  There is one guy at Sam's Club that I see nearly every week.  His name is Gary and he checks receipts as people leave the store.  He has commented to me several times that I am "always smiling" and how pleasant that is.  I like him.  A smile is an easy thing to share.  But I don't spend the majority of my time outside the home, I spend the majority of my time inside with a bunch of short people.  Am I sharing my smile here, with those who need it most?  One of the things Lang says about this is "Christian living is more than adhering to moral standards of conduct; it is also the demonstration of several graces, including love, joy, and peace."  The scriptures referenced are: 2 Corinthians 13:12, Galatians 5:22-23, Ephesians 4:31-32, Philippians 4:4, Colossians 3:12. The medicine goes down easy and I am encouraged.  Again and again.  Because just like with Tylenol, sometimes we need repeated doses.  :)

This book would make an excellent gift for any occasion.  It should be kept nearby, in a place where it can be easily grabbed when you have a minute.  :)

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson book publishers as a part of their booksneeze blogger program.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment