Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Music Review: World of Praise (Instrumental Hymns)

There is almost no opening that adds spice to my day like the Spanish flamenco guitar.  :)

Let the World of Praise Instrumental Hymns, from Mark Baldwin and published by Discovery House Publishers, take you around the world with sounds from different cultures, from Spain to Asia to Appalachia.

In our home I think it is no secret that we love to study different cultures.  We have hosted two exchange students, we pray regularly for missionaries around the world, we even have a large world map on the wall above our dining room table with people all over the world that we are praying for.  We study different countries/cultures together in our home school.  Mitch and I have been on missions trips together working with different cultures, and Mitch has been on two international trips without me as well.  This c.d. is an excellent way to enrich our world vision!

A talented team of musicians have mastered instruments from around the world in order to compile this c.d. featuring popular hymns.  When the mail arrived, I popped this c.d. into my c.d. player immediately and continued the cleaning project I was working on in an adjacent room.  Soon I walked out to put something away and found Josh, my 5 year-old, sitting intently in front of the player bobbing his head along to "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" from Africa.  I don't blame him.  Who can resist picking up the beat when there are kalimbas, talking drums, and other percussion instruments playing an upbeat lively tune?  He asked if he could replay the song.  :)

I can't pick a favorite song.  I just can't.  It wouldn't be fair.  Listening to the music is compelling.  I combine it in my head with images I have seen, connecting me to the cultures and stretching my heart to worship together with other believers around the world.  I do have to give special mention to one song, however.  Since I was born and raised in Southwest Virginia, in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains, I have a fondness for the sound of the dulcimer and the fiddle.  The song "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" was so nicely done, really doing justice in capturing the very culture that I know best.  As I listen, I can see the crisp fog rising over the mountains, feel the cool morning air, and smell the fire burning under a pot of apple butter.  Even without words, I hear the voice of my home church congregation singing, my Uncle Fudge (Ken Sutphin) leading in the singing.  Oh the joy!

The songs included on this c.d. are:
Song List:
  • O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus (Spain)
  • Jesus, Lover of My Soul (Middle-East)
  • Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Appalachian)
  • For the Beauty of the Earth (China)
  • What a Friend We Have in Jesus (African)
  • Be Thou My Vision (East India)
  • I Have Decided (Greece)
  • My Jesus, I Love Thee (Central Asia)
  • O Worship the King (Ireland)
  • This is My Father's World (Persia)
Visit amazon.com or dhp.org to hear samples of the songs and get a feel for what I'm talking about!


I'm so grateful that Discovery House Publishers sent me a complementary c.d. for this review. I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment