Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Oral Surgery Update

I had my oral surgery this morning to drain the cyst in the roof of my mouth.  Here is a recap:

Back in December I noticed a slightly tender spot on the roof of my mouth.  Because I was pregnant, the dentist would not do an x-ray so we didn't know what it was.  About a month before I delivered the spot developed into a small bulge.  But it was not painful.  Right after I gave birth to Obadiah I scheduled an appointment with the dentist.  A week later I saw him and we had an x-ray and found the cyst.  Within a couple days the cyst developed an abscess.  THAT was painful.  I got some antibiotics and the abscess ruptured.  Fun times.  A week after that I saw an endodontist and he tested the three teeth immediately under the cyst to see if any were dead.  One tooth was dead.  I went back to my regular dentist shortly after that and had a root canal on the dead tooth.  No big deal whatsoever.  Tooth had a really long root.  Fast forward till now.  After some drama about how insurance would cover the anesthesia, we finally got things straightened out and got to the matter at hand.

Going under general anesthesia is always a weird experience.  I just couldn't wait to be out.  I figure I was out by 8:40ish this morning.  Woke up with a numb, sore face and mouth a little over an hour later.  It took longer than I thought.  The doctor said that I should be fine with regular Tylenol, but prescribed Vicodin.  Since the pain was already exceeding the Novocaine, I opted to take some Vicodin when I got home.  That knocked me out and I promptly took a 2-hour nap.  I needed that SO badly, and it was really nice.  I need to get some ice on my face since I feel it swelling.  Oh, I'm also supposed to pump and dump for 48 hours, but yeah...probably not.  I pumped and dumped once and that will be it.  Obi took a bottle with no problems though while I was gone.  Such a good boy.  :)

The doctor said the cyst is benign.  That's good, because I never knew there was a question about that.  I'm glad I didn't know because I would have just worried anyway.  He said they are sending it off to a lab to determine exactly what it was, though, and I will have a follow-up appointment.  He said the whole cyst-thing is odd, but he has seen it before.  Nice.  I seem to have a knack for picking up medical oddities!  Hopefully the bone will reconstruct itself.  It is possible that it won't and I could lose the tooth.  (Yikes!)  There is also the possibility that one of the other teeth would have been upset by the surgery and would later need a root canal. And of course with benign cysts there is the possibility that the cyst would return.  I sure hope not!

Ok, off for some ice!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one serious oral surgery. Glad they took out the cyst, it could very well have evolved into a tumor. And that would be very bad news. Good thing you have wonderful doctors who removed the cyst. But the risk of it returning is quite, well, tough to swallow. Good luck on your recovery and I do hope that you'll be 100% next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that your cyst was extracted before any complication arose. It's always best to have your oral health monitored regularly, so as to prevent diseases.

    ReplyDelete