Thursday, August 04, 2011

Book Review: Family Illustrated Bible

We have had several Bible "storybooks" come through our door over the years.  Some feature popular characters from cartoons or are written by famous people...all to try to "grab" the attention of children.  So why did I feel the need to try yet another storybook?  And why should you?  That's the goal of my review.

The Family Illustrated Bible is published by New Leaf Press and was formerly published as The Children's Bible by DK Books.  This volume is 356 pages long, includes more stories than you would expect, and also includes additional resources such as a dictionary of people in the Bible.


One of the first things I noticed about the Family Illustrated Bible is the beautiful illustrations and REAL PICTURES.  Wow!  So rather than just an artist's imagination, we get pictures of real artifacts and places.  For example, on just thumbing through the pages the first time, the book fell open to a 2-page spread of the Garden of Gethsemane.  It is a real place!  (Duh--but when something has only existed in "stories", it is so cool to see it for real).

After this it was a long while before I got a chance to have the book in my hands again.  It was always in some child's hands.  Another Wow!  The kids LOVE reading it.

Finally, I have to speak about the binding of the book.  I am sad to say that while the kids love reading it, like most books in our house I have found it lying on the floor a few times.  The binding is sturdy and I am happy to report still in tact.  This is an important test around here of the durability of books!  I am now a little more careful about who has access to this book and where it is placed when the child is finished with it.  I would love for our family to be able to enjoy it for years to come.

I try to give careful consideration to the books that my children read.  I don't read everything that they read, though.  As I said in the beginning, we have had many Bible storybooks come into our home for our children to read.  What is the purpose of a Bible storybook?  It is a retelling of stories from the Bible, perhaps with emphasis to teach lessons from each story.  Some accuracy may be lost in this retelling.  If you would like to read some very well-written, objective thoughts about the content of the stories in the Family Illustrated Bible, please hop on over to the review written at Down LeftyLane.  I think the thoughts expressed here are a good balance to my thoughts about this book.  Personally, I love the Family Illustrated Bible.  What I love best about it is that my kids are actually reading it.  Often.  We are laying foundations for Biblical truth in our home, and I am not afraid that this book would undermine that foundation, but it is certainly something that you should consider for your own family.  Remember that no storybook is a substitute for God's Word.  Many adults I know read commentaries and study guides.  Perhaps this is a commentary written for children.  :)

Many of the Bible storybooks we read come from our church library.  This is definitely one that I would buy for our family, especially after seeing my kids' reactions.



I received a complimentary copy of this book for review from New Leaf Publishing Group.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. hey lady...i still am just amazed at this free time you find to do the reading and reviews! you amaze me!! i also thought to let you know that this clip took over your lindquist post too and so incase you didnt know that:) have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete