Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reading List

I have a few books here that I'm reading that are really good.  I probably won't get a chance to write out a full review because my time is so limited right now.  Still, I would like to be one beggar showing another beggar where I found bread.  These are good books!

The Big What Now Book of Learning Styles by Carol Barnier.  I sought out some teaching tips for homeschooling a highly distractible (ADHD??) 8-year old boy.  One of the best sites I found (though lacking as far as web-design goes) was Carol's Web Corner.  I wanted more, and I found her books.  This book is full of hands-on tips to teach according to your child's learning style.  The tips are organized according to subject, so they are very easy to find.  I think I'm going to end up buying this one because I don't want to give it back.  I have a hold on another of her books at the library.

If I'm Diapering a Watermelon, Then Where'd I Leave the Baby? by Carol Barnier.  This book is one I bought because my library doesn't have it.  Back in the day when I only had a couple children, I didn't really classify myself as "highly distractible".  Unfortunately, I must admit that in this day and age I am just that.  I have only read the introduction, but this sentence got me pretty excited to read the rest:  Carol writes, "You'll learn the role that God designed you for."  Ohhhhh it's good.  I would quote more, but there's no time!  Moving on now...

Keeping our Children's Hearts by Steven and Teri Maxwell.  The Maxwells are those "other" parents...not the ones that would need to read the book immediately preceeding this one.  They are the organization gurus of large homeschooling families.  I'm not ready to buy "Managers of Their Homes" yet, but I have requested some of their books from the library.  This is the first one to arrive (it's always a good sign when there are holds on books that you want).  So far, I love it.  It is breaking me down and resetting me.  I swear I need a reset button weekly.

I'm not just reading, but I also have been getting books on c.d.  I think I may have overdone it there.  I think it's soooo easy to load them on my ipod, right?  Well, that was a nice plan when we were going on our trip.  Now I have more c.d.'s than one could possibly listen to in a reasonable amount of time.  I've requested anything by Chuck Black.  Wayne Thomas Batson also has a series I'm going to try out for the kids called The Door Within Trilogy.  Finally, I got Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers after reading rave reviews.  That one got me in trouble.  It is a 15-disc set, and somehow after I returned them to the library disc 1 and 2 are now missing.  Ouch.  I tried to keep a tight reign on those, but I think a preschooler or toddler helped them disappear.  Oh well, the kids are loading things onto their mp3 players and enjoying them, even if I don't have time.  Why oh why don't I have time?  We should have played some while we were up until 3 a.m. painting!  Wish I would have thought of that sooner...

1 comment:

  1. So, did you like Redeeming Love? Francine Rivers is one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete