Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Autumnal Equinox

 My laundry beckons the sun to climb higher, but the sun said, "Not now, I'm sinking lower."  

My house now shades the deck fully, when only a couple months ago it was in full sun and we were begging for shade.

 The oak tree wears a majestic crown, a testimony to a beautiful summer now turning golden.
She will hold her leaves valiantly all winter long, through every stormy blast.

 The sunflowers hang their heads and wait for the birds to come.

 The garden goes to sleep and one lone tomato teases us as the sun warms its face.

A quick frost finally convinces our cucumbers to give up their struggling battle to produce fruit but no leaves.  

Long days give way now to long nights.
We rest.  We wait.

    While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.”
(Genesis 8:22 ESV)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Steph - What is that clothesline thing you have on your deck? I want that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a retractable clothesline, I think Mitch picked it up at Menards. He used some green-treated 2x4's to mount it to our deck. It is SO cool, because it's right out the back door and I don't have to walk far to hang out the clothes. Very motivating. It has some common issues that retractable lines have with sagging and uneven lines, but I still like it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I will have to keep an eye out for one... maybe the next time Menard's has a good sale. I love that idea! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete