Monday, September 19, 2011

Book Review: Espresso for Your Spirit

Pooped out.  Yep, that is a good way to describe me at the end of these fast-paced, jam-packed homeschool/daycare days!  My schedule is so full.  I often look ahead and wonder if I'll be able to hold it together, or if I'm just winding up for a big *snap* at some point in the future.  Do I have enough balance in my life to keep going, or is there a train wreck at the end of the tracks?  I thought a good book might be just the thing to balance me out, but I wondered where I would find time to read a book.  Hmmmm...

Espresso for Your Spirit, by Pam Vredevelt, to the rescue!  With a tagline like this:  "Hope and Humor for Pooped Out Parents", I had high hopes that this little book would be just the pick-me-up that I need.

Espresso for Your Spirit is a collection of 28 short chapters that can be easily and quickly sipped down in the time that you have available.  Pam tells stories that are captivating and encouraging, either from her own life experiences or from those she has met.  She writes from 20 years of experience as a therapist, as the mother of 3 children, and as a pastor's wife. 

If you have ever felt like God is not listening, does not care about what's going on in your life, or that He's distant, you might need a good refreshing look at life.  Each story in Espresso for Your Spirit is a reminder that God is in control, that He cares, and He is very near.  Pam ties in scripture and personal application to help motivate and push you back on the right track.  Each story is tied up neatly to give glory back to God for the work that He is doing. 

The book is promoted for "parents" in general, but I guess I couldn't help but feel moms will connect more with the stories than dads will.  Also I think that it can't help but feel a bit "clinical" at times when Pam tackles topics like depression or tells stories of transformation in a client's life.  I noticed myself becoming more analytical instead of just sitting back and enjoying the story.  The cure for me was to take it a little slower, savor the story, and allow myself to reflect, rather than rushing ahead to the next chapter.

This book would make a fantastic coffee-table book, gift book, etc.  It's perfect for your nightstand, briefcase, or wherever you may find yourself caught with a few minutes to refresh.  As a mom who is currently nursing a baby, I think it's well-suited to grab for our 10-15 minute nursing sessions!

I received a complimentary copy of this book for review from the publisher, Waterbrook Multnomah, as a part of their Blogging for Books program.  I was not required to write a positive review.  My thoughts and opinions are my own.

Please take time to rank my review so I can continue to get books to review from Multnomah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment