Sunday, October 09, 2011

Cleaning off the camera card

I take a lot of photos.  More than I can possibly post.  But still, when I have my camera in hand, I'm "blogging" in my head.  I don't know why.  Maybe it brings purpose to my photos?  Also, I have not been scrapbooking like I used to do.  Blogging fills a small bit of that void.  (key word: small)  So anyway, as I clean off my card, here are some photos I wanted to share.

2 weekends ago Mitch installed a new back door.  That project is not 100% complete yet, but he got a major part done. 

Micah and Mitch worked together on this project.  Here they are cutting a new piece for the subfloor that we had to replace.

My hubby is goofy!

Malachi and Tirzah watch as Mitch and Micah slide the new door into place. 

   On a different day, Mitch made some chocolate oatmeal cookies.  He loves to bake cookies.

Malachi and Tirzah are "helping".

Obadiah stood for a very long time holding onto the couch.  He didn't fall at all!

The old nursery-new school room has its door removed.  We left the hinges on the frame so we can hang the door later if needed.  Tirzah tripped over her own feet and hit her forehead right on the hinge.  Poor baby!!

We had a cold virus show up right as the weather started getting cooler outside.  Typical runny nose, cough, etc.  It was pretty mild overall.  One morning (Thursday a week ago) Zeke came to me and said, "Mom, it hurts to breathe."  I grabbed my stethoscope and listened to his breathing.  I'm not very good at this and my stethoscope is not very high quality, but it sure sounded to me like he was wheezing on both the inhale and exhale.  I encouraged him to rest as much as possible, which was pretty much torture for my most active boy.  That afternoon he spiked a fever, and even fell asleep on the couch.  After daycare I loaded half the kids up, including Zeke, and took him to the after-hours clinic.  Micah watched everyone else for me since Mitch plays basketball on Thursday nights.  Two hours later, we came home.  Zeke was definitely struggling to breathe.  He had a neb treatment at the clinic (I should have thought of that earlier in the day), a chest x-ray, and a blood count done (such a brave boy having blood drawn from his arm!).  She did not see pneumonia, but definitely said he was fighting infection.  We came home with albuterol, prednisone, and azithromycin.  Kathi, you miss all the fun!  By Friday Zeke was feeling much, much better.

'Tis the season in Minnesota for Honeycrisp apples!   If you don't know the story behind the Honeycrisp, you should go read it.  Here is a wikipedia article.  Did you know there was a patent on the apple?  I wanted to blog all about it, but where is the time?  Not that you wanted to hear my thoughts (again) on patents.  The kids are loving the Honeycrisp.  I have to admit, they are tasty.

The kittens who visited us on Monday came back every day this week.  Sometimes they {apparently} stayed overnight on our back deck.  They love the attention they are getting from the kids.  They start purring as soon as you pick them up.  Such sweet kitties.

 This is everyone's favorite kitty, especially Eden.  She has named it "Daydream".  It is different from the orange kittens.  It's fur is longer and fluffier, and more of a blonde color.  It is a female, and is the sweetest one in the bunch.  I would keep it (and the orange one in the picture above, too) if I could.  But I'm not sure I'm really wanting to care for more critters.  Cleaning up poop in our backyard has not been fun. 

What boy doesn't like toads and frogs?  Malachi was crooning over keeping this one as much as the other kids were crooning over keeping kittens!

This kitty is definitely related to the kitty Tirzah had before.  So sweet, too.

A different kind of harvest

 Josh may be allergic to the kittens, which is another reason not to adopt any right now.  His left eye got very red on Monday, the same day the kittens showed up.  Since we have a cold virus, I assumed it was pink eye and began putting drops in his eyes.  After 4 days of drops, he still had red eyes, but the weird thing was the redness would come and go.  It dawned on me that the common factor wasn't only the virus, but the kittens.  So I am watching him now to see if the redness comes back.  I gave him an allergy pill on Thursday night.  On Friday morning, within 1/2 hour of playing with the kittens he had red eyes.  I sent him to take a shower and within 2 hours his eyes were back to normal.  Later Friday I let him go back out to play with the kittens and he didn't have red eyes all day.  He did great all day Saturday, too.  Saturday evening after he brushed his teeth for bed he came to me and said, "Mom, my eye is pink again."  Sure enough, the red eye is back.  Sunday morning it looks a little better, but still a little pink.  I'll keep watching him.  It's hard because there are too many variables outside of my control. Oh, and he also has a patch of eczema on his cheek, which is weird for him. 

1 comment:

  1. I also find myself "blogging" in my head while I'm taking pictures, or planning how I'm going to use photos on my blog. I used to never post any pictures, and now I'm discovering how at least one nice picture sure adds to a blog post. :) I don't post pictures of my girls, which limits what I can share on my blog, but there's still lots of other great stuff to post. :)