Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Harvest Party

These guys have been having a good harvest in our little garden this year:


First there was one blue jay, then there were 5.



Then a flock of black party-goers showed up.  I'm not sure what kind of bird they are...they have red on their wings, and are smaller than the blue jays.
UPDATE:  Thank you everyone who wrote to me!  They fit the description of a red-winged blackbird.  :)


At first the blue jays tried to scare them off.  They even tried fighting each other.  Eventually they just ate together and gave up the flight fights.




I'm thankful for the 200mm zoom lens my dad sent me.  I took all these pictures through the window, and they turned out decent enough.  When I tried to sneak outside (even through the front door), the birds immediately flew away.  I'll have to think through my outdoor photography a little better.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny aka frogmama10/18/2011 1:01 PM

    That's quite a lens!! Beautiful pictures. Bluejays are so pretty - it makes me sad that they don't usually let smaller birds feed with them. You could try whatbird.com to find out the other kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black birds are probably what I've grown up calling "red-winged black birds". Not sure if that's an "official" name, or just what I was taught. ;)

    ReplyDelete